Show for infinitesimal translation

In summary, The conversation is about solving quantum physics problems involving induction and the Dirac delta function. The first problem involves using induction to prove a commutator identity, while the second problem involves using the Dirac delta function in a translation operator to show infinitesimal translation for position and momentum. The conversation also addresses the confusion between the Dirac delta function and a small constant.
belleamie
PLEASE help asap with quantum physics!

Hi there, i need help in a couple of questions that I'm just stumped
one of them :
A) use induction to show that
[ x (hat)^n, p(hat) sub "x" ] = i (hbar)n x(hat)^(n-1)

- so far I've figured out this equation is in relation to solve the above eq, but I'm not entirely sure how to connect the two
[ f (x (hat)), p(hat) sub "x"] = i h(bar) (partial F/ partial x) * (x (hat))

B) I'm not sure how to show the symbol "pitch fork" but i will refer to it as "tsi"

Show for infinitesimal translation for
|tsi> --> |tsi'> =T(hat) (dirac delta x)|tsi>
that <x> ---> <x> + dirac delta x and
< P (as in momentum) sub x > ----> < P subx >

SO far I have gotten {T is for hte translator)
<tsi| T(hat with dagger) (diarc delta x) x T hat (diarc delta x)| tsi>
= <tsi| (1+(idelta sub x P hat sub x/ hbar) x hat (1- i diarc delta x P sub x /hbar) |tsi>

I don't know where to go from there tho...

Physics news on Phys.org
Part A:
You can either prove the second equation you have listed by induction (harder), or use this convenient commutator identity,
[tex]
[AB, C] = A[B,C] +[A,C]B \, ,
[/tex]
to get what you want. Here is a presentation of the first few steps (but only the 1st, nth, and (n+1)th are really important!)
[tex]
\begin{align*}
[\hat{x}^2, p_x] \equiv [x^2, p] &= [xx, p] = x[x,p] + [x,p] x = 2i\hbar x \, ,\\
[x^3,p] = [xx^2, p] &= x[x^2,p] + [x,p]x^2 = x(2i \hbar x) + i \hbar x^2 = 3i \hbar x^2 \,\\
&\vdots
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Do you see the pattern? Induce the final result.
Note: Your more general statement about position-dependent functions is not correct.
Get rid of the "x(hat)" at the end.
Part B:
You're on the right track, but your last line isn't self-consistent. It should read
[tex] \langle \psi \mid \left( 1 + \frac{i \delta(x) p}{\hbar} \right) x \left( 1 - \frac{i \delta(x) p}{\hbar} \right) \mid \psi \rangle \, .
[/tex]
The Dirac delta function is a distribution that goes to infinity at x = 0. I'm not sure why they call it "infinitesimal." But if you want to get the right expressions for the expectation value, you'll need to pretend that the [tex](\delta(x))^2[/tex] you get after carrying out the multiplication above, is zero.

Last edited:
I don't mean to intrude, bigplanet, but don't you find it a bit odd that a dirac delta function would be inside the translation operator. The exponential of a Dirac delta function is pretty highly singlular object and it certainly can't be Taylor expanded. As written, the expression is also not dimensionally correct since the Dirac delta function has units of one over length. It seems to me that the OP probably confused [tex] \delta [/tex], which was supposed to be a small length, with the Dirac delta function. Do you agree?

Hi Physics_Monkey,
Thanks! I didn't know what to do with "Dirac Delta." It is not well-behaved at the origin. But Delta (a small constant) seems OK (see below).
To the OP: The line above the last paragraph does not involve Delta functions. Replace [tex]\delta(x)[/tex] with some constant [tex]\Delta[/tex]. Then you need not worry about singularities. You can also neglect the term in [tex]\Delta^2[/tex], which is a second-order contributon.

What is a show for infinitesimal translation?

A show for infinitesimal translation is a scientific demonstration or experiment that illustrates the concept of infinitesimal translation, which is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe small, incremental changes in position or movement.

Why is it important to understand infinitesimal translation?

Infinitesimal translation is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of objects at very small scales and in continuous motion. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific models to predict and analyze physical phenomena.

What are some examples of infinitesimal translation in real life?

Examples of infinitesimal translation in real life include the movement of particles in Brownian motion, the rotation of planets and stars in our solar system, and the growth of plants and animals.

How is infinitesimal translation related to calculus?

Infinitesimal translation is a fundamental concept in calculus, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of infinitesimal changes and their effects on a larger scale. Understanding infinitesimal translation is crucial for mastering calculus and many other branches of mathematics and physics.

Are there any practical applications of infinitesimal translation?

Yes, there are many practical applications of infinitesimal translation in fields such as engineering, robotics, and computer graphics. For example, it is used in designing and programming robots to move smoothly and accurately, and in creating realistic 3D animations and simulations.