1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show G abelian

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a finite group and let I ={g in G: g^2 = e} \ {e} be its subset of involutions. Show that G is abelian if card(I) => (3/4)card(G).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to proceed with this problem and to make use of 3/4. I know that the set I is precisely the elements of order 2 in the group G and all elements within I U {e} commute; but I just don't know how to show the whole group commutes. Any help on how to proceed with the problem is highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll give you a hint while I'm trying to figure this one out myself. You don't know that I commutes, do you? It's perfectly possible that a^2=e and b^2=e and ab is not equal to ba, isn't it? If you HAVE figured out how to prove {e} U I is commutative, then you would be done. That makes it a subgroup. Use Lagrange's theorem.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For future reference, I think I finally got this one. Consider an element a in I. Now look at the |G| equations aG=G. Show if ab=c and b and c are also in I, then b commutes with a. Count how many equations in aG=G are of that form and draw a conclusion about the size of the centralizer subgroup of a. The rest is an easy exercise. That was bothering me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook