Proving Group Properties of Finite Sets

• Thread starter smurf_too
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the fundamental difference between the two given problems is that problem 1 deals with a set that is not necessarily finite, while problem 2 specifically states that the set is finite. In problem 1, the conditions prove that the set is a group, while in problem 2, the conditions are not enough to guarantee that the set is a group. The additional condition of the set being finite is necessary for the proof to hold. This difference is due to the fact that the behavior of mappings on finite and infinite sets is not equivalent, as demonstrated by the example provided in the conversation.
smurf_too
Other than problem 2 being over a finite set, what is the fundamental difference in these questions (i.e. I see problem 2 has left / right cancellation properties but not sure how it changes the answer for both these questions)

Problem 1:
If G is a set closed under an associative operation such that:
Given a, y [tex]\in[/tex] G, there is an x [tex]\in[/tex] G such that ax = y, and
Given a, w [tex]\in[/tex] G, there is a u [tex]\in[/tex] G such that ua = w. prove that G is a group.

Problem 2:
If G is a finite set closed under an associative operation such that ax=ay forces x=y and ua=wa forces u=w, for every a,x,y,u,w [tex]\in[/tex] G, prove that G is a group.

Physics news on Phys.org
smurf_too said:
Other than problem 2 being over a finite set, what is the fundamental difference in these questions (i.e. I see problem 2 has left / right cancellation properties but not sure how it changes the answer for both these questions)

Problem 1:
If G is a set closed under an associative operation such that:
Given a, y [tex]\in[/tex] G, there is an x [tex]\in[/tex] G such that ax = y, and
Given a, w [tex]\in[/tex] G, there is a u [tex]\in[/tex] G such that ua = w. prove that G is a group.

Problem 2:
If G is a finite set closed under an associative operation such that ax=ay forces x=y and ua=wa forces u=w, for every a,x,y,u,w [tex]\in[/tex] G, prove that G is a group.

Remove "finite" from problem two and figure out a set and operation that satisfies the property given, but which is not a group. (hint:
positive integers under multiplication
). Why does the condition given in the first problem eliminate the problem that arises? This should help you understand the reason why the conditions are nonequivalent.

I'm sorry, but the more I study this the more confused I am getting. I posted the problem #2 ax=ay, ua=wa (reference link:http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=215804"

In particular, the Proposition (Mappings on Finite and Infinite Sets). I think I understand the alpha/beta example, and tried to apply this to the (N,x) example using the alpha function of a(g)=2g, and N = {1,2,3,4,5,6}. It appears to me that the set is injective but not surjective. thus not bijective (and it also appears in particular the inverse is not 1-1 since 10,5 map back to 5).

In any case, I feel like I am still missing some key points, and in particular have a difficult time looking at these problems and understanding if there is a fundamental difference between what they are asking for. I have spent a lot of time already on this, and am quickly getting very frustrated. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. There are 4 Herstein problems asking to prove that there is a group (given associative and closure).
1) given ex=x, yx=e
2) ab=ac, ba=ca therefore b=c
3) ax=y, ua=w
4) finite set--- ua=wa, ax=ay.
I am taking this class on line (with no help from the instructor). I'm looking for someone who can just simply lay out what I am missing with understanding what's behind the 4 questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
smurf_too said:
I am still struggling with the finite vs not finite difference, and also the injective/surjective = bijective part.
Just play around until it becomes obvious. But surely it is the definition of bijective that it is something that is both injective and surjective.
In particular, the Proposition (Mappings on Finite and Infinite Sets). I think I understand the alpha/beta example, and tried to apply this to the (N,x) example using the alpha function of a(g)=2g, and N = {1,2,3,4,5,6}. It appears to me that the set is injective but not surjective. thus not bijective (and it also appears in particular the inverse is not 1-1 since 10,5 map back to 5).

This makes no sense: what is N? Is it supposed to be Z/6Z with multiplication as the binary operation? I guess it is meant to be a group, so that ought to make it the non-zero elements of Z/7Z under multiplication. Note a 'set' isn't injective, a function is. What two residues do you think are sent to the same thing on multiplication by 2? Here's what multiplication by 2 does:

1-->2
2-->4
3-->6
4-->1
5-->3
6-->5

That looks like an injection and a surjection to me.

The fundamental difference between finite and infinite sets is that if S is finite and

f:S-->S

is an injection, then S is a bijection.

This is not true for infinite sets.

What is a finite set?

A finite set is a set that contains a limited or countable number of elements. This means that there is a specific number of items in the set and that number cannot be infinite.

What are some examples of finite sets?

Examples of finite sets include the set of numbers from 1 to 10, the set of letters in the English alphabet, and the set of planets in our solar system.

What is a group property?

A group property is a characteristic or rule that applies to a group of objects or elements. In the context of finite sets, group properties refer to the properties that hold true for all elements in the set.

How do you prove group properties of finite sets?

To prove group properties of finite sets, you must show that the property holds true for all elements in the set. This can be done through various methods such as mathematical induction, direct proof, or proof by contradiction.

Why is it important to prove group properties of finite sets?

Proving group properties of finite sets is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and relationships between elements in a set. It also helps us to make accurate predictions and conclusions based on the properties that hold true for the set.