1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show h is differentiable

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define h(x)=x^3sin(1/x) for x[tex]\neq[/tex]0. and h(0)=0. Show h is differentiable everywhere and that h is cont everywhere, but fails to have a derivative at one point.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [h(x)-h(0)]/[x-0]=x^2sin(1/x)
    h is diff everywhere because the limit exists and we know x[tex]\equiv[/tex]0.
    h'(x)=3x^2sin(1/x)-xcos(1/x)
    We know f is diff at [tex]x_{0}[/tex], then f must be continuous at [tex]x_{0}[/tex].
    h has a derivative at x if x[tex]\neq[/tex]0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    I'm just unsure how to deal with it at x=0

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Ok I see my problem. I just don't understand why we cant have h(x) with x=0. Is it because the limit wouldn't exist?

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    i had a similar problem that i figured out. maybe you can apply it to yours.

Problem: Let f(x)=x^2sin1/x if x does not = 0, and f(0)=0. Find f '(x) and show that the lim as x goes to 0 of f '(x) does not exist.

My answer: f '(x)= 2xsin1/x - cos1/x
    Now the lim as x goes to 0 of xsin1/x = 0, but the lim as x goes to 0 of cos1/x DNE. Since the value oscillates between -1 and 1 as x gets smaller.

~Sorry didn't have a chance to look into yours, but knew i had one similar. hope it helps.

6. Dec 16, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely you meant "that h' is cont everywhere, but fails to have a derivative at one point."

7. Dec 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? h(0) is defined- it is 0. The reason for the requirement that [itex]x\ne 0[/itex] in the first formula is that, of course, 1/x does not exist at x= 0 so x2sin(1/x) does not exist at x= 0.

8. Dec 18, 2008 #7
    The graph approaches zero but is undefined at that point there it isn't continuous at that point and shouldn't be differentiable right? I don't know

9. Dec 18, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the function is NOT "undefined" at x= 0. f(0)= 0. The function is continuous at 0 because [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^3sin(1/x)= 0= f(0)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?