Is This Expression a Tautology?

• Thread starter aeronautical
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining if the expression ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) is a tautology and creating a table to evaluate its truth value for all possible values of p and q. The table is used to show that the expression is true for all combinations of p and q, therefore making it a tautology.
aeronautical

Homework Statement

Determine if the following is a tautology:

((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q)

I don´t know how to show this. Can somebody pls show me all the steps

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the following table:

p|q|p → q|q → p|(p → q) Ʌ (q → p)|p Ʌ q|((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q)
T|T|
T|F|
F|T|
F|F|

Now finish this table, if the last column yields true for all possible values for p and q then ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) is a tautology.

Cyosis said:
Make the following table:

p|q|p → q|q → p|(p → q) Ʌ (q → p)|p Ʌ q|((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q)
T|T|
T|F|
F|T|
F|F|

Now finish this table, if the last column yields true for all possible values for p and q then ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) is a tautology.

im sorry but I am lost. this is very tricky. i don't understand this table

I have basically chopped your original expression into chunks. Every column of the table has a term of the original expression in it and I have used | to separate the columns. The last column has the entire expression in it.

Lets finish the first row:
p and q are true so q->p is true and p->q thus (p → q) Ʌ (q → p) is true. On the other hand we have p Ʌ q which is true so now we have all components that we want. So we can conclude, since (p → q) Ʌ (q → p) is true and (p Ʌ q) is true, ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) must be true.

Now try to work your way through the other values of initial p and q. Note that I put all possible combinations in the first two columns.

What is a tautology and why is it important to show if something is a tautology?

A tautology is a statement or formula that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components. It is important to show if something is a tautology because it helps us to identify logical fallacies and ensure the validity of our arguments.

How do you show if something is a tautology?

To show if something is a tautology, we can use truth tables or logical equivalences to demonstrate that the statement is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components.

What are some examples of tautologies?

Some examples of tautologies include "Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow" and "All cats are either black or not black". These statements are always true, regardless of the truth values of their components.

What is the difference between a tautology and a contradiction?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, while a contradiction is a statement that is always false. In other words, a tautology is a statement that is logically redundant, while a contradiction is a statement that is logically impossible.

Why is it important to avoid tautologies in scientific research?

In scientific research, we strive for accuracy and precision in our findings. Tautologies offer no new information and can be seen as a weakness in the argument. Therefore, it is important to avoid tautologies in scientific research to ensure the validity and reliability of our findings.