1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show if this is a Tautology

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine if the following is a tautology:

((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q)

I don´t know how to show this. Can somebody pls show me all the steps

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Make the following table:

p|q|p → q|q → p|(p → q) Ʌ (q → p)|p Ʌ q|((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q)
    T|T|
    T|F|
    F|T|
    F|F|

Now finish this table, if the last column yields true for all possible values for p and q then ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) is a tautology.

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    im sorry but im lost. this is very tricky. i dont understand this table

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I have basically chopped your original expression into chunks. Every column of the table has a term of the original expression in it and I have used | to separate the columns. The last column has the entire expression in it.

Lets finish the first row:
    p and q are true so q->p is true and p->q thus (p → q) Ʌ (q → p) is true. On the other hand we have p Ʌ q which is true so now we have all components that we want. So we can conclude, since (p → q) Ʌ (q → p) is true and (p Ʌ q) is true, ((p → q) Ʌ (q → p) → (p Ʌ q) must be true.

Now try to work your way through the other values of initial p and q. Note that I put all possible combinations in the first two columns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook