1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show integral is independent

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    du/dt = d2u/dx2

u(x,t) = (t^a) * (g(e)) where e = x/sqrt(t) and a is a constant

Show that

integral from -inf to inf [ u(x,t) ] dx = integral from -inf to inf [ (t^a) * g(e) ] dx

is independent of t only if a=-0.5

My attempt was to diff both sides by t (sorry not x) giving

integral from -inf to inf [d2u/dx2 ] dx = integral from -inf to inf [at^(a-1) g(e) + t^a dg(g)/dt ] dx

Not sure if this is correct and cant see where to go from here...any help most appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so just to write it out in tex your starting point is:
    [tex] f(t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} u(x,t) dx = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} (t^a) g(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}})dx [/tex]

i don't think its ok here to differentiate both sides w.r.t. x, you always need to be careful bringing it differntiation inside an integral, and here in effect its just a dummy integration variable...

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

but you can differentitae w.r.t. t no worries
    [tex] f'(t) = \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} u(x,t) dx = \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} (t^a) g(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}})dx [/tex]

[tex] f'(t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} u_t(x,t) dx = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} u_{xx}(x,t) dx = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{\partial }{\partial t}(t^a) g(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}})dx [/tex]

[tex] f'(t)
    = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \left( a t^{a-1} g(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}})
    - \frac{xt ^{a-3/2}}{2}g'(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}}) \right)dx
    [/tex]

assuming my algebra is correct, and which appears close to what you presented

if you can show f'(t) = zero, then its clear the integral is independent of t

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

then you can look at the x derivatives
    [tex] u_x(x,t) = \frac{\partial }{\partial x}t^a g(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}}) [/tex]

[tex] u_x(x,t) = t^a g'(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}}) \frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}= t^{a-1/2} g'(\frac{x}{\sqrt{t}}) [/tex]

and carry on from there, you may have to consider a=1/2 and otherwise separatley

PS - i haven't fully worked it but this is what i would try

6. Jul 26, 2010 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So you have an integral:
    [tex]
    \int_{\infty}^{\infty}t^{a}g(x/\sqrt{t})dx
    [/tex]
    use [tex]v=x/\sqrt{t}[/tex] as a substitution to obtain (after a little algerbra)
    [tex]
    \int_{\infty}^{\infty}t^{a+1/2}g(v)dv
    [/tex]
    This will ne infependent of t if and only if a=-1/2. I will leave you to fill in the details.

Mat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook