1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show it is differentiable

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    Let B(V,V) be the set of bounded linear transformations from V to V. Let U be the set of invertible elements of B(V,V) and define the map [tex]^{-1}[/tex]: [tex] U\rightarrow U[/tex] by [tex]^{-1}(T)=T^{-1}[/tex]
    Show that the map [tex]^{-1}[/tex] is differentiable at each [tex]T \in U[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    For us to be able to help you, you would first have to show your work. Moreover it wouldn't hurt to say what V is. It surely has some topology?

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    The only information I have about V is that V is a Banach space. Also, I know that [tex]^{-1}: U\rightarrow U[/tex] is continuous.
    I tried to use the definition of derivative. So the map [tex]^{-1}[/tex] would have a derivative [tex](^{-1})'(T)[/tex] at each T in U if for T,S in U, [tex]S^{-1}=T^{-1}+m(S,T)(S-T)[/tex] and
    [tex]lim_{S\rightarrow T} m(S,T)= (^{-1})'(T)[/tex].
    Then [tex]m(S,T)=(S^{-1} -T^{-1})(S-T)^{-1}[/tex]. So
    [tex](^{-1})'(T)=lim_{S\rightarrow T} m(S,T)=lim_{S\rightarrow T}(S^{-1} -T^{-1})(S-T)^{-1}= lim_{S\rightarrow T}-S^{-1}(S-T)T^{-1}(S-T)^{-1}[/tex]
    but what is this limit? or how do I know it exists?
    By the way, a part b of the question says: show that [tex](^{-1})'(T)(U)=T^{-1}UT^{-1}[/tex].

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want a linear function A_x such that lim |(x+h)^(-1)-x^(-1)-A_x(h)|/|h| -> 0 as |h|->0. (x+h)^(-1)=(x(1+x^(-1)h))^(-1)=(1+x^(-1)h)^(-1)*x^(-1). Now use the good old reliable 1/(1+S)=1-S+S^2-... Can you see what A_x(h) is?

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5
    Hi Dick,
    Can I see what A_x(h) is?
    No, I can't.
    I get the part of (x+h)^(-1)=(x(1+x^(-1)h))^(-1)=(1+x^(-1)h)^(-1)*x^(-1).
    But then you say: Now use the good old reliable 1/(1+S)=1-S+S^2-...
    where do I use that? You mean use that on (1+x^(-1)h)^(-1)?
    but then how do I get to A_(x)?
    HEEELP

7. Nov 22, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. (1+x^(-1)h)^(-1)=1-x^(-1)h+(x^(-1)h)^2- ... The linear function A_x(h) has to be the part of (x+h)^(-1)-x^(-1) that is linear in h (i.e. first power). Parts that don't have an h in them have to cancel and higher powers of h will go to zero as h->0.

8. Nov 22, 2008 #7
    Let' see,
    the term linear in h is -x^(-1)hx^(-1).
    Is [tex](^{-1})'(T)=T^{-1}T^{-1}[/tex]?
    but then [tex](^{-1})'(T)(U)=U^{-1}T^{-1}U^{-1}T^{-1}[/tex] and part b of the exercise says show [tex](^{-1})'(T)(U)=T^{-1}UT^{-1}[/tex]
    ???

9. Nov 22, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good! The linear term is A_x(h)=-x^(-1)hx^(-1). That's your derivative. In the notation of the second part, you've shown:
    [tex]
    (^{-1})'(T)(U)=(-1)*T^{-1}UT^{-1}
    [/tex]
    I think the exercise answer is missing that (-1) factor.

10. Nov 22, 2008 #9
    aahhhhh?
    now I'm really confused.
    Can you please write the same in terms of [tex]T\in U[/tex].
    I mean, for each [tex]T\in U[/tex], [tex](^{-1})'(T)=[/tex] ?

11. Nov 22, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are confused, and I'm not surprised. W=(^-1)'(T) is a linear function from B(V,V) to B(V,V) defined for each T in U. To say what W is you have to say how it acts on an A in B(V,V). W(A)=(-1)*T^(-1)AT^(-1). Try relating this to ordinary derivatives on R. If f'(x)=m, then |f(x+h)-f(x)-m*h|/|h| goes to zero as h goes to zero (everything ordinary numbers). If f(x)=1/x, then the derivative m at x=a is -1/a^2. So m*h=(-1)(1/a)*h*(1/a). Do you see how that relates to your problem? The fact linear transformations don't commute makes it a little different. But only a little.

12. Nov 23, 2008 #11
    Hi Dick,
    First of all, thank you for your help.
    I see how your example relates to the problem.
    It just seems weird to me that if you can define (-1)(T) as (-1)(T) =T^(-1) (without using an aditional element A), you say that we can't do the same for the derivative. That is, to give the derivative at T without using some additional element A.
    I'm not sure about the following:
    Wouldn't the derivative of T be (-1)'(T)= -T^(-1)T^(-1) because if (-1)'(T)(U)= -T^(-1)UT^(-1) then (-1)'(T)= (-1)'(T)(I)= -T^(-1)IT^(-1)= -T^(-1)T^(-1).

Perhaps the derivative can be expressed as (-1)'(T)= -(*T^(-1))(T^(-1)) where (*w)(v)=v*w. So for example
    (-1)'(T)(U)(V)= -(*T^(-1))(T^(-1))UV= -(*T^(-1))(T^(-1)UV) =-T^(-1)UVT^(-1).

13. Nov 23, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not really sure where you are going there. But I'm pretty sure (^(-1))'(T)(U)=-T^(-1)UT^(-1). We got that out of the linearized form of (^(-1)) and being careful about order. For derivatives in R, you can be careless about the ordering. Here you can't. (^(-1))'(T) is supposed to be a linear operator from B(V,V) to B(V,V), so it has to act on something. -T^(-1)UT^(-1) is not the same as -T^(-1)T(-1)U. If U=I, it is, but that's not true in general. The derivative here is an operator.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?