Show no non-abelian group G such that Z(G)=Z2 exists satisfying the mapping

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to show that there is no non-abelian group G with Z(G)=\mathbb{Z}_2, satisfying the short exact \mathbb{Z}_2\rightarrow G\rightarrow\mathbb{Z}_2^3. The attempt involves using group theory, specifically the fact that the center of G is contained in every normal subgroup, to prove that G must be a semidirect product of \mathbb{Z}_2 and \mathbb{Z}_2^3. However, this is impossible since \mathbb{Z}_2 is abelian and can not act nontrivially on \mathbb{Z}_2^3. Therefore, it is
Poopsilon

Homework Statement

Show that there is no non-abelian group [itex]G[/itex] such that [itex]Z(G)=\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex], which satisfies the short exact [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2\rightarrow G\rightarrow\mathbb{Z}_2^3[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I have knowledge of group theory up through proofs of the Sylow theorems. I know the center is contained in every normal subgroup of G. [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2^3[/itex] has a seven subgroups of order 2 so I've been trying to use the correspondence theorem to get some idea of what this implies for the structure of G, but no luck so far. I've found several paths to the fact that G has no element of order 8, but that still leaves a lot of possibilities for its subgroup of order 8. Anyways I've been banging my head against this one for a while now, can anyone help me out with it? Thanks.

Note: I want to prove this without resorting to the classification of groups of order 16.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since \mathbb{Z}_2 is the center of G, it is contained in every normal subgroup of G. This implies that the only nontrivial normal subgroup of G is \mathbb{Z}_2^3. Since G/ \mathbb{Z}_2 \cong \mathbb{Z}_2^3, G must be a semidirect product of \mathbb{Z}_2 and \mathbb{Z}_2^3. However, this is impossible since \mathbb{Z}_2 is abelian and thus can not act nontrivially on \mathbb{Z}_2^3. Therefore, there is no non-abelian group G such that Z(G)=\mathbb{Z}_2, which satisfies the short exact \mathbb{Z}_2\rightarrow G\rightarrow\mathbb{Z}_2^3.

1. What is a non-abelian group?

A non-abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines two elements to form a third element. In a non-abelian group, the operation is not commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are combined matters. This differs from an abelian group, where the operation is commutative.

2. What is the center of a group?

The center of a group is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the group. In other words, for any element a in the group, if a is multiplied by any other element b, the result will be the same as if b was multiplied by a. The center is denoted by Z(G) and is a subgroup of the group G.

3. What is a mapping in a group?

A mapping, also known as a homomorphism, is a function that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation in the original group will also hold true in the mapped group. In other words, if a and b are elements in the original group, the mapped group will also have an element that is the result of combining the mapped versions of a and b.

4. What is the importance of Z2 in this question?

In this question, Z2 represents the cyclic group of order 2. This means that the group only has two elements - the identity element and another element that, when combined with itself, returns the identity element. The importance of Z2 in this question is that it is the smallest non-trivial abelian group, and is often used in mathematical constructions and proofs.

5. Can you provide an example of a non-abelian group with Z(G)=Z2?

Yes, one example is the dihedral group Dih3, which consists of the symmetries of an equilateral triangle. The center of this group is Z2, as there are only two rotations that commute with all other elements in the group - the identity and a rotation by 180 degrees. This group is non-abelian because the order of combining elements matters - for example, rotating the triangle by 120 degrees and then by 60 degrees will result in a different symmetry than the reverse order of operations.