Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show off thread

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    If you have to show off one thing/achievement in your life, what would it be? It could be anything; cars, house, job, awards.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    Hmm. I don't know if PF will allow me to make a list that long :biggrin:.

Anyway. I would currently like to show off the new computer I got today. Its top of the line, diectX 10.1, high capacity graphics card, 3GB ram, 2.0 GHz dual core processor, and it goes on. Plus, it has a fingerprint scanner for all of my passwords :biggrin:.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  4. Feb 8, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My cat uses his liter box.

5. Feb 8, 2008 #4
    We're so proud of him:approve:

6. Feb 8, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter. She "opted out" of school today to go watch Obama -- took the bus because she's not old enough to drive.

She's also wonderfully stubborn.

7. Feb 8, 2008 #6

Evo

Yes, yes we are. I had a cat that didn't use his litter box and ...it was not good.

8. Feb 8, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not going to be impressed until you teach the dog to use the litter box. :biggrin:

9. Feb 8, 2008 #8

Evo

He's gotten good. I find that he's used the cat box quite a bit lately :approve:

10. Feb 8, 2008 #9
    My beer gut

11. Feb 8, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems he fears sliding to the bottom of that ravine as much as you do. :biggrin:

12. Feb 8, 2008 #11

russ_watters

Cars and houses are not achievements. The money you earn to buy them may or may not be an award for an achievement.

The most personally fulfilling "achievement" for me right now (in quotes because it really isn't all that impressive to people who know about it) is my astrophotography hobby.

13. Feb 8, 2008 #12
    for me, it would be my engineering degree and my car.

14. Feb 8, 2008 #13
    Right now? My bass I got (read: bought) for Christmas.

[​IMG]

15. Feb 8, 2008 #14
    Sweet bass. How much was it?

My most proud thing would prolly be making it to the state geography bee 4 years in a row and being amongst the top ten once.

16. Feb 8, 2008 #15
    $700 total. Pretty steep, but I plan to sell off my 5-string fretless and my 6-stringer (just need to get boxes for it... FedEx won't box stringed instruments), plus I had been saving up for it since summer.

17. Feb 8, 2008 #16
    My friend just got an Ibanez five string. I'm guessing it was prolly over $1000, but his dad is a dentist, so yeah.

18. Feb 8, 2008 #17
    What are the open notes on the six string? Is it just like a guitar just a few octaves lower or what?

19. Feb 8, 2008 #18
    BEADGC

Not quite like a guitar. A bass is tuned in all 4ths, whereas a guitar goes EADGBE (usually) so that making chords is easier. You tend not to make chords on bass, so there's no real point in doing that kind of exception in tuning. Still, I have to sell it because the neck is too wide. I have fairly small fingers, and even though it's not a big deal (my teacher has even smaller fingers and he's fine), I just don't see it as being worth the effort. I'll stick to 5ers and 4 stringers.

20. Feb 8, 2008 #19
    Yeah, seems like overkill.

21. Feb 8, 2008 #20

RonL

Gold Member

I found PF:approve::smile::wink::biggrin::tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?