Proving 1 ppm = 1 mg/L: Conflicting Equations?

• Thread starter Jimmy25
  • Start date
In summary, PPM and mg/L are units of measurement used to express concentration in a solution. PPM is equivalent to 1 milligram of a substance per kilogram of solution, while mg/L is the mass of a substance in milligrams dissolved in one liter of solution. There are conflicting equations for converting between these units due to differences in solution density and scientific conventions. It is best to consult a reference or colleague and understand the properties of the solution to choose the correct equation. While calculators can be used for conversion, it is important to understand the underlying principles. 1 ppm is not always equal to 1 mg/L, as the conversion depends on the density of the solution.
Jimmy25
My text claims that 1 ppm = 1 mg/L. I tried to prove this for myself but I seem to be stuck. This is what I have so far:

1 mg(solute)/L(solvent) = 1 mg(solute) / 1*10^6 mg(solvent)

But:

C(ppm) = (mass solute)/(mass solvent) *10^6 ppm

These seem to be in conflict, what am I not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 ppm = 1 mg/L for water solutions, when you can assume mass of 1L to be close to 1 kg.

Yes, but how can it be proved?

1 mg/1 kg = 10-6, I am not sure where the problem is.

I understand your confusion and it is important to clarify this issue. The equation 1 ppm = 1 mg/L is a commonly used conversion for expressing the concentration of a solute in a solution. However, it is important to note that this equation is only applicable for solutions where the density of the solvent is equal to 1 g/mL. This means that 1 mg of solute is dissolved in 1 L of solution with a density of 1 g/mL.

In your calculations, you correctly identified that 1 ppm can also be expressed as 1 mg/L, but this is only true when the density of the solvent is 1 g/mL. In situations where the density is different, the equation C(ppm) = (mass solute)/(mass solvent) *10^6 ppm should be used.

For example, if the density of the solvent is 0.9 g/mL, then the equation would be C(ppm) = (mass solute)/(0.9 g/mL) * 10^6 ppm. This shows that the concentration in ppm is dependent on the density of the solvent.

In conclusion, the equation 1 ppm = 1 mg/L is only applicable in specific situations and it is important to consider the density of the solvent when using this conversion. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you in your future calculations.

1. What is the definition of ppm and mg/L?

PPM stands for parts per million and is a unit of measurement used to express very small concentrations of a substance in a solution. It is equivalent to 1 milligram of a substance per kilogram of solution. Mg/L stands for milligrams per liter and is another unit of measurement used to express concentration in a solution, specifically the mass of a substance in milligrams dissolved in one liter of solution.

2. Why are there conflicting equations for converting ppm to mg/L?

The conversion from ppm to mg/L depends on the density of the solution. Since different solutions have different densities, there are different equations for converting between these two units. Additionally, different fields of science may use different equations based on their specific needs and conventions.

3. How do I know which equation to use to convert between ppm and mg/L?

If you are unsure which equation to use, it is best to consult with a scientific reference or ask a colleague in your field for guidance. It is also important to understand the properties of the solution you are working with and its density in order to choose the correct equation.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert between ppm and mg/L?

Yes, there are many online calculators and conversion tools available that can accurately convert between ppm and mg/L using the appropriate equations. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles of these units and their relationship to the solution's density.

5. Is it possible for 1 ppm to equal 1 mg/L in all cases?

No, it is not always the case that 1 ppm is equal to 1 mg/L. As mentioned before, the conversion between these units depends on the density of the solution. Therefore, it is important to use the correct equation for the specific solution you are working with in order to accurately convert between these units.