1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show size relationship between protons, neutrons and electrons using the AMU in model

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    How would I show the relationship of the protons, neutrons and electrons of a Neon atom in a model using the AMU? I know Protons = 1 AMU and Neutrons = 1AMU and the Electrons =1/1836 AMU? If each proton and neutron (20 total)in the nucleus of my neon model is 1 inch, the total size would be 20 inches. How would I determine the size of the item that I could use for the electrons? Any Ideas???? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The nucleus would have the radius [itex] \sqrt[3]{20} [/itex] inch.As for electrons,though much lighter,u can consider their (classical) radius 1 inch,just like in the case of nucleons.

Daniel.

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3
    which is bigger? protons or electrons?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?