Is there a mistake in the proof for G being isomorphic to R(theta)?

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
Okay, let me try to summarize the conversation for you. In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the group G, consisting of elements of the form e^itheta where theta is a real number, is isomorphic to the group of rotations in the plane given by 2x2 matrices. The function phi is defined as mapping elements of G to real numbers. It is stated that in order to show that phi is one-to-one, it is necessary to show that phi(a) = phi(b) implies a = b. However, there is confusion about the statement "that is not necessarily true" in the post, as it is clear that if phi(a) = phi(b), then cos(a) = cos(b) and
Nusc
Let G = {e^itheta);theta in R}

Show that G is isomorphic to the group of rotations in the plane given by 2x2 matrices.

Define phi:G->R(theta)

1-1: Consider e^ix, e^iy in G

Assume phi(expix)) = phi(expiy)) and we want to show exp(iy)=exp(iy)

Group ofrotations R(theta) is the matrix:

cosx -sinx = cosy -siny
sinx cosx siny cosy

But that implies cosx = cosy
which is not necessarily true.

What's wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Really you're better off saying

G:= {exp(it) : t in [0,2pi) }

since exp is periodic on R, thus the elements when theta equals x x+2pi, x+4pi, etc, are all the same in G, and that might be confusing you.

I see no problem with the fact that those two matrices being equal implies cos(x)=cos(y) and sin(x)=sin(y).

Nusc said:
Let G = {e^itheta);theta in R}

Show that G is isomorphic to the group of rotations in the plane given by 2x2 matrices.

Define phi:G->R(theta)

1-1: Consider e^ix, e^iy in G

Assume phi(expix)) = phi(expiy)) and we want to show exp(iy)=exp(iy)

Group ofrotations R(theta) is the matrix:

cosx -sinx = cosy -siny
sinx cosx siny cosy

But that implies cosx = cosy
which is not necessarily true.

What's wrong here?
I don't think that's what you meant to say. The group of rotations consists of all matrices of the form
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\ sin \theta & cos \theta\end{array}\right][/tex]
It is not required that two matrices be equal nor is there any x or y.
You know that [itex]e^{i\pi\theta}e^{i\pi\phi}= e^{i\pi(\theta+\phi)}[/itex]. What is the product
[tex]\\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\ sin \theta & cos \theta\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \phi & -sin \phi \\ sin \phi & cos \phi\end{array}\right]?
Now apply the sine and cosine sum formulas:
[tex]sin(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)+ sin(\theta)cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]cos(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)- sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

To show that something is one-to-one, I'm not sure why you multiplied exp(i*pie*theta) with exp(i*pie*phi).

How can not showing that phi(x) = Phi(b) => a = b, not be required?

Last edited:
It is required. However, it is not at all clear what your confusion is. I still have no idea what you mean by 'that is not necessarily true' in you post. If phi(a)=phi(b), then obvisouly cos(a)=cos(b) and sin(a)=sin(b) which is iff and onl if a=b (mod 2pi, like I said, your G is not very well defined).

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements that follow a specific set of rules, including closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. These elements can be numbers, symbols, or other objects, and the rules determine how they can be combined and manipulated.

2. How do you show something is a group?

To show that something is a group, you must first prove that it follows all of the group axioms and properties. This includes demonstrating closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. You must also show that the group operation is well-defined and that all elements have an inverse.

3. What is closure in a group?

Closure is one of the key properties of a group. It means that when two elements from the group are combined using the group operation, the result is also an element of the group. In other words, the set is closed under the operation.

4. Why is associativity important in a group?

Associativity is important in a group because it ensures that the order of operations does not affect the final result. In other words, it doesn't matter which elements you combine first, as long as the correct operation is used, the result will be the same.

5. What is the identity element in a group?

The identity element in a group is the element that, when combined with any other element, results in that element. In other words, it is the "do nothing" operation. In most cases, the identity element is denoted as "e".