1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show something's a group

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    Let G = {e^itheta);theta in R}

Show that G is isomorphic to the group of rotations in the plane given by 2x2 matrices.

Define phi:G->R(theta)

1-1: Consider e^ix, e^iy in G

Assume phi(expix)) = phi(expiy)) and we want to show exp(iy)=exp(iy)

Group ofrotations R(theta) is the matrix:

cosx -sinx = cosy -siny
    sinx cosx siny cosy

But that implies cosx = cosy
    which is not necessarily true.

What's wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really you're better off saying

G:= {exp(it) : t in [0,2pi) }

since exp is periodic on R, thus the elements when theta equals x x+2pi, x+4pi, etc, are all the same in G, and that might be confusing you.

I see no problem with the fact that those two matrices being equal implies cos(x)=cos(y) and sin(x)=sin(y).

4. Sep 28, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think that's what you meant to say. The group of rotations consists of all matrices of the form
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\ sin \theta & cos \theta\end{array}\right][/tex]
    It is not required that two matrices be equal nor is there any x or y.
    You know that [itex]e^{i\pi\theta}e^{i\pi\phi}= e^{i\pi(\theta+\phi)}[/itex]. What is the product
    [tex]\\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\ sin \theta & cos \theta\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}cos \phi & -sin \phi \\ sin \phi & cos \phi\end{array}\right]?
    Now apply the sine and cosine sum formulas:
    [tex]sin(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)+ sin(\theta)cos(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]cos(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)- sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

5. Sep 28, 2006 #4
    To show that something is one-to-one, I'm not sure why you multiplied exp(i*pie*theta) with exp(i*pie*phi).

How can not showing that phi(x) = Phi(b) => a = b, not be required?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  6. Sep 29, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is required. However, it is not at all clear what your confusion is. I still have no idea what you mean by 'that is not necessarily true' in you post. If phi(a)=phi(b), then obvisouly cos(a)=cos(b) and sin(a)=sin(b) which is iff and onl if a=b (mod 2pi, like I said, your G is not very well defined).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?