Show that a given list spans V

• I
  • Thread starter Mayhem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the definition of span to prove that a given list of vectors span a vector space. It is shown that by rearranging the terms in the span, the list can indeed span the vector space as the coefficients can be arbitrary elements in the underlying field. However, it is important to consider cases where the new vectors may not span the vector space, as in the case where the list is linearly dependent. The argument for the coefficients should show that for any given set of coefficients, there exist other coefficients that can be used to form the original list, thus proving that the new list spans the vector space.
Mayhem
TL;DR Summary
Problem text:

Suppose ##v_1, v_2, v_3, v_4## spans ##V##. Prove that the list $$v_1 - v_2, v_2 - v_3, v_3 - v_4, v_4$$ Also spans ##V##
Using the definition of the span, we obtain $$\mathrm{span}\left(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4\right) = \left \{ a_1v_1 + a_2v_2 + a_3v_3 + a_4v_4 : a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}\right \}$$

Suppose $$\mathrm{span}\left ( v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4 \right ) = \left \{a_1(v_1-v_2) + a_2(v_2-v_3) + a_3(v_3-v_4) + a_4v_4 : a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}\right \}$$

The terms can be rearranged as follows: $$\mathrm{span}\left ( v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4 \right ) = \left \{a_1v_1-a_1v_2 + a_2v_2-a_2v_3 + a_3v_3-a_3v_4 + a_4v_4 : a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}\right \}$$ $$\Updownarrow$$ $$\mathrm{span}\left ( v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4 \right ) = \left \{a_1v_1-(a_1+a_2)v_2-(a_2+a_3)v_3-(a_3+a_4)v_4 : a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}\right \}$$

Which shows that the list indeed spans ##V## since the coefficients are arbitrary elements of ##\mathbb{F}##.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's nearly fine, save the sign errors in the last line. I guess you might also need to justify briefly why the last set does indeed include every vector in ##V## i.e. why the coefficients ##a_1##, ##a_1 - a_2##, ##a_2 - a_3## and ##a_3 - a_4## can each take on any possible number in ##\mathbb{F}## for suitable choice of the numbers ##a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}##. But that's pretty easy to do!

You might also think about it like, take any ##v \in V##, then you have for some ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, ##\gamma##, ##\delta## ##\in \mathbb{F}##$$\begin{align*}

v &= \alpha v_1 + \beta v_2 + \gamma v_3 + \delta v_4 \\

&= \alpha (v_1 - v_2) + (\alpha + \beta)(v_2 - v_3) + (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(v_3 - v_4) + (\alpha + \beta + \gamma + \delta)v_4

\end{align*}$$and because ##v## is arbitrary, by construction we showed that the new list also spans ##V##

• Informative
Likes Mayhem
etotheipi said:
I think it's nearly fine, save the sign errors in the last line. I guess you might also need to justify briefly why the last set does indeed include every vector in ##V## i.e. why the coefficients ##a_1##, ##a_1 - a_2##, ##a_2 - a_3## and ##a_3 - a_4## can each take on any possible number in ##\mathbb{F}## for suitable choice of the numbers ##a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}##. But that's pretty easy to do!

You might also think about it like, take any ##v \in V##, then you have for some ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, ##\gamma##, ##\delta## ##\in \mathbb{F}##$$\begin{align*}

v &= \alpha v_1 + \beta v_2 + \gamma v_3 + \delta v_4 \\

&= \alpha (v_1 - v_2) + (\alpha + \beta)(v_2 - v_3) + (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(v_3 - v_4) + (\alpha + \beta + \gamma + \delta)v_4

\end{align*}$$and because ##v## is arbitrary, by construction we showed that the new list also spans ##V##
Yes, I should probably have factored in the minus sign.

I considered arguing for the coefficients but thought it was pretty trivial.

Likes etotheipi
Mayhem said:
I considered arguing for the coefficients but thought it was pretty trivial.

You should give the argument. You might consider it trivial, but it's the point of the question.

Another approach is to check that ##v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4## are all in ##\text{Span}(v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4)## and hence any linear combination of them (which by assumption is an arbitrary vector in ##V##) is too.

Last edited:
Infrared said:
You should give the argument. You might consider it trivial, but it's the point of the question.

Another approach is to check that ##v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4## are all in ##\text{Span}(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4)## and hence any linear combination of them (which by assumption is an arbitrary vector in ##V##) is too.
Is there more to it other than arguing why the "new" coefficients are also in F?

Mayhem said:
Is there more to it other than arguing why the "new" coefficients are also in F?
Yes.
For example, consider a similar problem: Prove or disprove that if the list ##v_1,v_2,v_3## spans ##V##, then so does the list ##v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_1.## The structure of your argument would say that they do, but this isn't the case: these three new vectors are always linearly dependent (their sum is zero), so if ##v_1,v_2,v_3## are independent, these new vectors cannot span.

In terms of coefficients, in your approach you need to show that for any ##(b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4)\in F^4##, there exist ##a_1,...,a_4\in F## such that ##a_1=b_1, a_2-a_1=b_2##, etc.

• Informative
Likes Mayhem
Infrared said:
Yes.
For example, consider a similar problem: Prove or disprove that if the list ##v_1,v_2,v_3## spans ##V##, then so does the list ##v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_1.## The structure of your argument would say that they do, but this isn't the case: these three new vectors are always linearly dependent (their sum is zero), so if ##v_1,v_2,v_3## are independent, these new vectors cannot span.

In terms of coefficients, in your approach you need to show that for any ##(b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4)\in F^4##, there exist ##a_1,...,a_4\in F## such that ##a_1=b_1, a_2-a_1=b_2##, etc.
It is less trivial than I thought then. Could you maybe help me in the right direction?

As I suggested above (with a corrected typo):

Can you show that ##v_1\in\text{Span}(v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4)##? And the same for ##v_2,v_3,v_4##? Do you see why this tells you that ##v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4## is a spanning list?

Infrared said:
As I suggested above (with a corrected typo):

Can you show that ##v_1\in\text{Span}(v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4)##? And the same for ##v_2,v_3,v_4##? Do you see why this tells you that ##v_1-v_2,v_2-v_3,v_3-v_4,v_4## is a spanning list?
Can it be done by simply showing that the given span, written as its linear combination, contains ##av_1## + other stuff?

I don't know what you mean by that. Can you post your attempt?

I can show that ##v_1 \in \text{span}(v_1 - v_2, v_2-v_3, v_3-v_4, v_4)## for appropriate ##a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 \in \mathbb{F}## which satisfy ##v_1 = a_1(v_1-v_2) + a_2(v_2-v_3) + a_3(v_3-v_4) + a_4v_4##. Is this correct?

Since the RHS is nothing but ##\text{span}(v_1 - v_2, v_2-v_3, v_3-v_4, v_4)##, this would by extension show that ##(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4) \in \text{span}(v_1 - v_2, v_2-v_3, v_3-v_4, v_4)## if verified for the other vectors.Is this a step in the right direction?

Looking into it some more, if I can write every vector in ##V## as a linear combination of vectors in some set ##S## (in this case ##S = {v_1-v_2, v_2-v_3, v_3-v_4, v_4}##, then ##S## spans ##V##. So the question is that if I can write ##v_1, v_2, v_3, v_4## as linear combination of vectors in ##S##, then I have shown that ##S## spans ##V##.

Is this right?

Yes, that's a good approach (and what I suggested in post 4).

Infrared said:
Yes, that's a good approach (and what I suggested in post 4).
Ah.

So if ##S## spans ##V##, there must exist ##b_1, b_2, b_3, b_4 \in \mathbb{F}## which satisfy $$v_1 = b_1(v_1-v_2)+b_2(v_2-v_3)+b_3(v_3-v_4)+b_4v_4$$These can be found by expanding and refactoring the above as such: $$v_1 = b_1v_1+(b_2-b_1)v_2 + (b_3-b_2)v_3 +(b_4-b_3)v_4$$ Let ##c_1 = b_1, c_2 = b_2-b_1, c_3 =b_3-b_2, c_4 = b_4-b_3##, such that we obtain: $$v_1 = c_1v_1+c_2v_2 + c_3v_3 +c_4v_4$$ Then it should be easily to see that ##b_2 = b_1, b_3 = b_2, b_4 = b_3## and lastly ##b_1 = 1## give us ##v_1 = v_1## which is what we wanted. Then the last step whould be to choose ##b_1, b_2, b_3, b_4 \in \mathbb{F}## such that ##c_1, c_3, c_4 = 0## and ##c_2 = 1## for ##v_2##, and so on for the remaining vectors. Correct?

1. What does it mean for a list to span a vector space?

For a list of vectors to span a vector space V, it means that every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the list. In other words, the list contains enough vectors to "reach" every point in the vector space.

2. How can I show that a given list spans V?

To show that a given list of vectors spans a vector space V, you can use the definition of span and show that every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the list. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients.

3. Can a list of fewer than n vectors span an n-dimensional vector space?

Yes, a list of fewer than n vectors can span an n-dimensional vector space. This is because the vectors in the list may be linearly independent, meaning they are not redundant and can still "reach" every point in the vector space.

4. Is it possible for a list to span more than one vector space?

Yes, it is possible for a list of vectors to span more than one vector space. This can happen if the vectors in the list are not linearly independent and can "reach" points in multiple vector spaces.

5. Can a list that spans a vector space be changed by adding or removing vectors?

Yes, a list that spans a vector space can be changed by adding or removing vectors. However, the resulting list may not span the same vector space as the original list. The new list may span a smaller or larger vector space depending on the linear independence of the added or removed vectors.