1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a line element transforms like a scalar

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that a line element of form ds2 = gabdXadXb transforms like a scalar under any general coordinate transform

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I've actually found the solution here, but I can't make sense of it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor#Invariance_of_arclength_under_coordinate_transformations"

I am not very confident with matrix notation but I think the first line of this solution is saying

dX'a = (∂X'a/∂Xb)dXb

Which comes from my textbook definition of how a vector transforms

V'a = (∂X'a/∂Xb)Vb

I don't understand the second line though. Why is there a transposed transformation matrix in there? We have just said (du,dv) = A(du', dv'), and now we seem to be saying (du,dv) = AT(du', dv'). Why have they just thrown that transpose in there? My textbook follows a similar argument, and I don't understand that either :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted