1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f is constant

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that f(x) = arcsin(x) + arccos(x) = constant, for [tex] -1 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Some theorem involving continuity or inverse functions

3. The attempt at a solution
    The theorem is easy for the interval with strict bounds (differentiability on open interval and we get f'(x) = 0, so f constant on that interval), but how do I show this for the end points? The hint is to "show and use continuity" but I'm pretty sure I need to use a theorem about inverse functions. I'm just not sure how to deal with the end points -1 and 1. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

arcsin(x) and arccos(x) are continuous on the closed interval [-1,1] so arcsin(x) + arccos(x) is too. Then you can take a sequence of points converging to, say, 1 (you do -1 as a separate case). You use the fact that arcsin(x) + arccos(x) is continuous plus the fact that you know the value of arcsin(x) + arccos(x) for each point in the sequence

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here is a simpler approach that uses only basic trig and the ideas of inverse functions.
    Let w = arcsin(y)

Draw a right triangle with angle w at left, and right angle at right, with altitude y and hypotenuse 1. The remaining angle, at the top, is (pi/2 - y).
    Then sin(w) = y and cos(pi/2 -w) = y.
    So w = arcsin(y) and pi/2 - w = arccos(y), hence arcsin(y) + arccos(y) = pi/2, a constant.

The range that is common to both arcsin and arcsin is [0, pi/2], so the representation of w as an angle in the first quadrant is, I believe, all we need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook