1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f(x) is unbounded

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the function
    [tex]
    f(x) =\\

\begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{x} &\quad 0 < x \leq 1\\
    0 &\quad x = 0
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

is unbounded.
    2. Relevant equations
    If f is bounded, |f(x)| <= M for all x in f's domain.
    3. The attempt at a solution

I tried arguing by contradiction: suppose there is such an M. Then |f(x)| = f(x) <= M. But if f(x) < 1/M, f(x) > M. But I get stuck because that means this particular choice of bound does not work. Instead, choose N > M. But then f(x) < 1/N makes f(x) > N. There might be a bound, and I'm having trouble proving that there is not a bound.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If x < 1/M, then f(x) > M.
    You can do this directly, without resorting to a proof by contradiction.

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3
    But then can't you choose N > M and still be bounded? I'm guessing that I have to show that we can always take x small enough so that there's no M that will always satisfy the condition f(x) <= M for x in (0, 1]. But I don't know how to do that.

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you might be confusing this problem with one in which ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \infty##.
    Yes. Let some "large number" M be given. Then if 0 < x < 1/M, then f(x) > M. That's all you need to say.

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@bigplanet401: The statement that ##f(x)## is bounded means that there is a number ##M## such that for all ##x##, ##|f(x)|\le M##. I think it would help your thought process if you wrote a careful denial of that. The statement that ##f(x)## is unbounded means..., then prove that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted