Show that g(x):=|f(x)| is differentiable at c

In summary, this conversation is about proving that if a function f:ℝ→ℝ is differentiable at c and f(c)=0, then g(x):=|f(x)| is differentiable at c if and only if f'(c)=0. The proof involves showing that if f'(c)=0, then g'(c)=0, and if g'(c) exists, then f'(c)=0. This is done by considering the limit as h approaches 0 and showing that it equals 0 in both cases. The steps may seem unclear, but the key is to understand the definition of differentiability and how it relates to the limit of a function.
kingstrick
Homework Statement

Suppose that f:ℝ→ℝ is differentiable at c and that f(c) =0. Show that g(x):=|f(x)| is differentiable at c iff f'(c)=0.

The attempt at a solution

**This is the solution that I was shown by a peer but I do not understand it... Can anyone break it down for me. It feels like some steps were skipped or taken out. I just don't follow it.

Proof:

Suppose that f:ℝ→ℝ is differentiable at c and that f(c) =0. Then (g(c+h)-g(c)) / h = (|f(c+h)|-|f(c)|)/h = |f(c+h)|/h. Now suppose f'(c)=0 then as h→0, |f(c+h)|/h=|f(c+h)-f(c)|/h →|f'(c)|=0. Therefore -|f(c+h)|/h ≤ |f(c+h)|/h ≤ |f(c+h)|/h, as h→0, |f(c+h)|/h→0, then lim (as h→0) (g(c+h)-g(c))/h=0. Therefore g'(c)=0 and g is differentiable at c.

Now suppose g(x) is diff at c. →lim (as h→0) (g(c+h)-g(c))/h exists so lim (as h→0) |f(c+h)-f(c)|/h = lim (as h→0) |f(c+h)|/h exists <--> lim (as h→0+)||f(c+h)|/h and lim(h→0-)|f(c+h)|/h both exists and are equal. but lim (h→0+) |f(c+h)|/h≥0 while lim(h→0-) |f(c+h)|/h≤0, hence lim (h→0+) |f(c+h)|/h = lim(h→0-) |f(c+h)|/h =lim(h→0) |f(c+h)|/h = 0 → |f(c+h)|/h = 0 since -|f(c+h)|/h ≤ (f(c+h)-f(c))/h=f(c+h)/h ≤|f(c+h)|/h. Therefore lim (as h→0) ((c+h)-f(h))/h=lim (as h→0) f(c+h)/h. Hence f'(c)=0.

Therefore g(x):=|f(x)| is diff. at c iff f'(c)=0

I am totally lost...please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what is going on here. I don't understand how he gets to the conclusion at the end.

What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

Being differentiable at a point means that the function has a well-defined derivative at that point. This means that the function is smooth and continuous at that point, and the rate of change of the function can be determined.

How is the absolute value function, f(x), related to g(x):=|f(x)|?

The absolute value function, f(x), returns the distance between a number and zero on a number line. The function g(x):=|f(x)| takes the output of f(x) and makes it positive, essentially removing the negative sign. This creates a function that is always increasing and never negative.

Why is proving the differentiability of g(x):=|f(x)| at a specific point important?

Proving the differentiability of a function at a specific point allows us to understand the behavior of the function at that point. It also helps us to determine if the function is smooth and continuous at that point, and if we can determine its rate of change.

What is the process for showing that g(x):=|f(x)| is differentiable at a point c?

The process for showing that g(x):=|f(x)| is differentiable at a point c involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as x approaches c. If this limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point. This can also be shown by using the definition of differentiability, which involves showing that the function is both continuous and has a well-defined derivative at that point.

What are some common techniques used to prove the differentiability of g(x):=|f(x)| at a point c?

Some common techniques used to prove the differentiability of g(x):=|f(x)| at a point c include using the definition of differentiability, using the limit definition of the derivative, and using the chain rule. Other techniques may involve using the properties of absolute value and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression.