Why does the time evolution operator require a hermitian Hamiltonian?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hermitian
In summary, the unitary time evolution time operator requires that the Hamiltonian be hermitian. However, it is not clear why this is the case.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that the unitary time evolution time operator requires that the Hamiltonian
be hermitian.
And then it tells us to use the infinitesimal time evolution operator.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] U(dt)=1-\frac{iHdt}{\hbar} [/itex]

so now we take [itex] U^tU=(1+\frac{iH^tdt}{\hbar})( 1-\frac{iHdt}{\hbar}) [/itex]
When I multiply this out it still is not obvious to me why H need to be hermitian.
although I could make an argument about the cross terms with i's in them
if H is not hermitian then I would have an imaginary number in my expansion and that would
not be equal to 1. But then my last term with H^tH might have some i's in it to cancel the i's from the cross terms but if this were the case H would need to have i's in it and the cross terms would not have i's after they were multiplied to H.
What do you guys think.

Physics news on Phys.org
We expand your expression out in full:
[tex]U^{\dagger}U = (1+ i H^{\dagger} dt) (1 - i H dt ) = 1 - i H dt + i H^{\dagger} dt + i H^{\dagger} H (dt)^{2} = 1 + i (H^{\dagger} - H) dt[/tex]
neglecting the [itex](dt)^{2}[/itex] term as per usual, and setting [itex]\hbar[/itex] to 1.
But then my last term with H^tH might have some i's in it to cancel the i's from the cross terms but if this were the case H would need to have i's in it and the cross terms would not have i's after they were multiplied to H.
I think you are too preoccupied with whether [itex] i (H^{\dagger} - H) dt[/itex] is real or imaginary. It doesn't matter! For [itex]U^{\dagger}U [/itex] to be equal to 1, that cross term has to vanish totally.

I don't see why that cross term has to vanish though.

You already have the unit operator in the RHS, it comes from multilplying the unit operators in each bracket. So you must have

[tex] \hat{1} + i\left(\hat{H}^{\dagger}-\hat{H}\right) dt \equiv \hat{1} [/tex]

ok dex I could see how your expression in post # 4 would force H to be hermitian but
where did the [itex] iH^tH{dt}^2 [/itex] term go.

Well, you're interested in the linear approximation of the product of U and U^dagger, since both U and U^dagger are linear to start with. You must discard the quadratic term.

ok thanks for everyones response, it cleared things up.
so we are not just neglecting the dt^2 term because it is really small.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be Hermitian?

A matrix is considered Hermitian if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose, meaning that the elements in the matrix are equal to the complex conjugates of the elements in the corresponding positions in the transpose of the matrix.

2. How can you prove that a matrix is Hermitian?

To prove that a matrix is Hermitian, you must show that it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This can be done by taking the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix and then transposing the resulting matrix. If the resulting matrix is equal to the original matrix, then it is Hermitian.

3. What are the properties of a Hermitian matrix?

Some properties of a Hermitian matrix include: all of its eigenvalues are real numbers, its eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other, and it can be diagonalized by a unitary matrix.

4. Can a non-square matrix be Hermitian?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be Hermitian. In order for a matrix to be Hermitian, it must be a square matrix, meaning that it has an equal number of rows and columns.

5. Why is it important to show that a matrix is Hermitian?

Showing that a matrix is Hermitian is important because Hermitian matrices have many useful properties that make them valuable in various applications, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing. Additionally, many algorithms and techniques are specifically designed to work with Hermitian matrices, so being able to identify and use them can be beneficial in solving problems.