1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that negative divisors of an integer, are just the negatives of the pos divisors

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that negative divisors of an integer, are just the negatives of the positive divisors.

3. The attempt at a solution

having an integer [itex]n[/itex] and a negative divisor [itex]k[/itex], we get the positive divisor by multiplying [itex](-1)k[/itex], thus each negative divisor of an integer, is the negative of the positive divisor of [itex]n[/itex].

I have the idea but don't know if this kind of proof is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Show that negative divisors of an integer, are just the negatives of the pos divi

It looks to me like what you showed is that if k is a negative number, then -k is a positive number. There's nothing in your proof that is related to division. What does it mean to say that a number is a divisor of some other number.

If k is a negative number that divides n, how do you know that -k also divides n? That's the part thats missing.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    Re: Show that negative divisors of an integer, are just the negatives of the pos divi

By a theorem, if [itex]m|p[/itex], and [itex]n|p[/itex], while [itex]gcd(m,n) = 1[/itex], then [itex]mn|p[/itex]. Since [itex](-1)|n[/itex] and [itex]k|n[/itex], and [itex]gcd(-1,k) = 1[/itex], then [itex](-1)k|n[/itex].

Is this correct?

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK, but is more complicated than it needs to be. What I was thinking was more along these lines: if k|n, then for some integer a, n = ak. Using this basic concept, it's easy to show that if k|n, then -k|n as well, without the need to invoke any other theorem.

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5

Hmmm what about this one:
    if [itex]k|n[/itex], then for some integer [itex]a[/itex], [itex]n = ak = ak1 = ak(-1)(-1) = a(-k)(-1)[/itex] which shows that [itex](-k)|n[/itex]

So if [itex]k[/itex] is a negative divisor, then [itex](-k)[/itex] which is positive, also divides [itex]n[/itex]. So for each negative divisor [itex]k[/itex], we have the positive [itex](-k)[/itex] integer. Now if [itex]k[/itex] is positive, then [itex](-k)[/itex] is negative, which shows that for each positive divisor [itex]k[/itex], [itex](-k)[/itex] which is a negative integer also divides [itex]n[/itex]. So the converse is also true, and the statement holds.

7. Jun 15, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It seems to me easier just to note that n= ak= (-a)(-k). Since so a is an integer, so is b= -a and you have shown that n= b(-k).

8. Jun 15, 2012 #7

yeah, I just wrote it the way it came on my mind. Thanks for noting it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook