1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that PDE is Parabolic

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am learning about PDE classification from a text on CFD (by Anderson). This section is not complete enough to be able to extend his example problems into more general cases. I read that to classify a system of PDEs as being parabolic, elliptic, or hyperbolic, I need to do some crazy stuff with Cramer's rule. However, the examples that he has shown are 1st order PDEs and like I said, are *systems* of PDEs. Now I have been asked to show that the 1D heat equation is parabolic and I am not sure how to apply what I have learned since a) it is 2nd order and b) it is only 1 eqaution:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \alpha \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} \qquad(1)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Cramers rule

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that I could form a system by forming the total differential of T(x, t)

[tex] dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \,dx + \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} \,dt \qquad(2)[/tex]

However I am not sure if this is helpful. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the definition at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_partial_differential_equation

4. Jan 7, 2012 #3
    Hi LCKurtz :smile: I actually found that at wolfram as well. The problem is that he does not use that in the text (explicitly). I think what he has done is kind of derived that equation, but in a less general sense. I am just trying to learn a little more about where that equation at the wiki comes from. Let me show you in broad terms what Anderson did on his example:

The starting point:
    Screenshot2012-01-07at114911PM.png

Putting in matrix form:

Screenshot2012-01-07at114924PM.png

He then set's det(A) = 0 in order to get a quadratic algebraic equation in (dy/dx). If the discriminant of this quadratic meets certain criteria, we can classify the PDE as parabolic. I am just having trouble putting everything into matrix form since I don't have a system of PDEs (unless I was right by taking the total differentials in post #1).

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know if I can help you or not with this. I haven't done that much with PDE's. But I have one thought that occurs to me that you might or might not find useful. I'm thinking about how in ordinary DE's you can take a second order equation and write it as a first order linear system. For example, given the DE ##ay''+ by' + cy = 0## you make the substitution ##y_1=y, y_2= y', y_2' = y'' = \frac 1 a (-cy-by')=\frac 1 a(-cy_1-by_2)##

This gives you a first order linear system$$
    \pmatrix{y_1\\y_2}'=\pmatrix{0&1\\-\frac c a &-\frac b a}\pmatrix{y_1\\y_2}$$

Maybe you can try something like that beginning with$$
    U = T, V = U_x, V_x = U_{xx} = \frac 1 \alpha T_t=\frac 1 \alpha U_t$$Or maybe not, who knows?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook