1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that R is a partial order on ℤ.

1. Jul 25, 2014 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem and solution are attached as TheProblemAndSolution.jpg.

I will also copy down the problem and solution here.:
    Problem:
    Consider the set ℤ of integers. Define aRb by b = a^r for some positive integer r. Show that R is a partial order on ℤ, that is, show that R is (a) reflexive; (b) antisymmetric; (c) transitive.

Solution:
    (a) R is reflexive since a = a^1.

(b) Suppose aRb and bRa, say b = a^r and a = b^s. Then a = (a^r)^s = a^(rs).
    There are three possibilities: (i) rs = 1, (ii) a = 1, and (iii) a = -1.
    If rs = 1 then r = 1 and s = 1 and so a = b. If a = 1 then b = 1^r = 1 = a, and, similarly, if b = 1 then a = 1.
    Lastly, if a = –1 then b = –1 (since b ≠ 1) and a = b. In all three cases, a = b.
    Thus R is antisymmetric.

(c) Suppose aRb and bRc say b = a^r and c = b^s. Then c = (a^r)^s = a^(rs) and, therefore, aRc. Hence R is transitive.

Accordingly, R is a partial order on ℤ.

2. Relevant equations
    Definitions of partial order, reflexive binary relations, antisymmetric binary relations, transitive binary relations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't get why if a = –1, then b = –1. If I assume that b ≠ 1, then I get it, but why is b = 1 forbidden?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If b= a "aRb= bRa" is trivial so you can assume [itex]b\ne a[/itex]. Since this is the case a= 1, you may assume that b is not 1.

4. Jul 25, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By your supposition, bRa, a = b^r for some r. This cannot be true if a = -1 and b = 1.

5. Jul 25, 2014 #4

s3a

Sorry, I double-posted.

6. Jul 25, 2014 #5

s3a

Orodruin, the thing is, if a ≠ b, then antisymmetry does not hold, and we can't assume that a = b for antisymmetry to hold, because we're trying to show that antisymmetry holds in the first place by showing that a = b must hold.

HallsofIvy, are you saying I should assume a ≠ b, and that I should then show that the equations don't always hold if a ≠ b?

I'm still confused about how I can say that –1 = (–1)^(positive_exponent), because positive_exponent must always be an odd integer for that to hold, but it could be an even integer too, so what do I do?

7. Jul 25, 2014 #6

s3a

Sorry, I double-posted.

8. Jul 25, 2014 #7

s3a

Never mind, I got it.

Because a = b^s implies that –1 = 1^s is false, b ≠ 1.

Thank you both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted