Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that sqrt(n!) is irrational

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Let n>2. Where n is integer show that sqrt(n!) is irrational.

I am supposed to use the Chebyshev theorem that for n>2. There is a prime p such that n<p<2n.

So far I am up to inductive hypothesis. Assume it holds for k then show it holds for k+1.

Well if k! is irrational==> k!= 2^(e_2)***p^(e_n)

then there is one power of prime which is odd. Using number theory. But don't know any ideas how to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    Induction is not necessary. Assume that n = either 2k or 2k-1 with respect to the Chebyshev theorem in terms of k.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    I think ramsey2879 means that the proof may be different for the cases n=odd and n=even. I've not gone through the details myself, but the idea of the proof is simple, if this helps:

Of all the numbers that make n!, namely 1.2.3...n, by Chebyschev theorem there is a prime p in the upper half (roughly speaking, between n/2 and n). The problem is that all multiples of that prime (2p, 3p, ...) are greater than n (since, if p > n/2, then 2p > n). So here you have a prime that appears only once in the factorization of n!... meaning that n! cannot be a square.

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4
    Darn, I expected the Op to figure this out for himself!

6. Oct 14, 2011 #5
    Thanks I got it. But I did it a bit differently so proof as follows:

Let n!=(2k)!
    Let's name the set N={1,2,3,...,k,...p,...,2k} basically all the factors of n!
    p is a prime between k and 2k which is true by Chebyshev (we're not ask to show this thank god)

-First we show that p does not appear twice since p>k ==> 2p>2k so 2p is not in N.
    -But we also show p^2 is not in N as well.
    Basically I used induction to show p^2>2k when k>2. Therefore p only appears once and is only power to the one.

Hence since there is a power of prime that is not divisible by 2 (since p=p^1) ==> n! is irrational.

(Similar for n!=(2k+1)! I'll left it out).

7. Oct 15, 2011 #6
    Good work. One thought though; since you showed that 2p > 2k then, as all other multiples of p such as p^2 are greater than 2p for p> 2, all multiples of p are necessarily > n. Also, for a prime p in n! to be squared, only p and 2p need appear in N since p*2p = 2p^2. Therefore, your effort to show that p^2 > n was needless. Overall though a good proof for one relatively new to number theory.

Edit, here is a new problem for the op that is a little bit tougher:
    If p is prime, show that p^p will never appear in the prime factorization of n!
    Have fun solving this!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  8. Oct 15, 2011 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

by "appear" do you mean that the valuation (exponent) of n! at p will never be exactly equal to p?

9. Oct 15, 2011 #8
    Yes, The exponent will skip from (p-1) to (p+1) in the valuation of n! at p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook