1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the derivative of f(x) = (x-a)m (x-b)n vanishes at some point between a & b

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    Question: Show that the derivative of f(x) = (x-a)m (x-b)n vanishes at some point between a and b if m and n are positive integers.
    My attempt:
    f(x) = (x-a)m (x-b)n
    f '(x) = m(x-a)m-1 (x-b)n + n(x-a)m (x-b)n-1
    f '(x) = [(x-a)n-1 (x-b)n-1 ] [(m)(x-b) +(n)(x-a)]
    And this is as far as I got.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Show that the derivative of f(x) = (x-a)m (x-b)n vanishes at some point between a

easily can be shown by rolle's theorem

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Re: Show that the derivative of f(x) = (x-a)m (x-b)n vanishes at some point between a

We cant use that yet :(

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

You have the expression for the derivative. Set it equal to zero and you will find one value of x for which the derivative is always zero, namely x=(mb+na)/(m+n). You then have to show that it is always between a and b if m and n are positive integers. Actually, m and n can be any reals greater than or equal to 1.

Why can't you use Rolle's theorem if you understand it?

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this question has nothing to do with "Differential Equations", I am moving it to Calculus and Beyond Homework.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Set that equal to 0 and solve for x:
    [(x-a)n-1 (x-b)n-1 ] [(m)(x-b) +(n)(x-a)]= 0
    Since we are looking at x between a and b, x- a and x- b are not 0 so we can divide by them. That leaves m(x- b)+ n(x- a)= mx- mb+ nx- na= (m-n)x- mb-na= 0. Solve that for x and show that it lies between a and b.

8. Oct 15, 2012 #7

Thanks guys! I ended up using Rolles theorem. I'm still waiting to see if he accepts it as a valid approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook