Show 4-Potential is 4-Vector in Lorenz Gauge

• I
  • Thread starter majinbeeb
  • Start date
In summary, the four-potential can be treated as a four-vector in the Lorenz gauge, but it is not always determined up to functions. Another option is to use the Riemann-Silberstein vector, which has the advantage of being rotational invariant.
majinbeeb
I am trying to show that the four-potential is a four-vector when working in the Lorenz gauge. In this gauge, we have ## \Box A^{\mu} = 4\pi J^{\mu}##. If we perform a Lorentz transformation, we can show that ## \Box A'^{\mu} = \Box \Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu} A^{\nu}##. From what I have seen, people have used this to conclude that ## A'^{\mu} = \Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu} A^{\nu}##, but I don't see why this is necessarily the case. If we had any function ## \xi ## such that ## \Box \xi =0 ##, then we could have ## A'^{\mu} = \Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu} A^{\nu} + \partial^{\mu} \xi## instead, where ##\partial^{\mu} \xi## is not necessarily zero.

In a previous thread, someone invoked the quotient theorem. However the quotient theorem describes situations like if ## B_{\mu} C^{\mu \nu}## is a tensor whenever ## B_{\mu} ## is a tensor, then ##C^{\mu \nu}## is a tensor. This does not apply to our case, as we only know that ## S A^{\mu} ## is a tensor only when ## S = \Box##; we do not have the universal quantification necessary to invoke the quotient theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always add a function (meeting appropriate requirements) to the vector potential. It thus only ever determined up to such functions. Thus, you can say the 4-potential can be treated as a 4-vector with no loss of generality. You can perversely choose not to, I guess.

Likes majinbeeb
PAllen said:
You can always add a function (meeting appropriate requirements) to the vector potential. It thus only ever determined up to such functions. Thus, you can say the 4-potential can be treated as a 4-vector with no loss of generality. You can perversely choose not to, I guess.

Thanks for the response. I do not find the idea of making a choice to set the function ##\xi ## to zero too troubling, but making such a choice feels somewhat artificial (at least when making this choice directly). Would it be possible to exclude such a term for more physical reasons, such as boundary conditions at infinity? A solution to ## \Box \xi = 0## is a linear combination of plane waves propagating at the speed of light, and these do not vanish at infinity, so we should choose ## \xi =0 ## for this reason. Does this line of reasoning make sense/ seem plausible?

Edit: Boundary conditions at infinity are tricky in a relativistic framework, the new time coordinate ## t'## in particular is problematic. I was kind of hoping for a condition that, when taken together with the Lorenz gauge condition, would give uniqueness of the four-potential.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
Why peversely? Often the Coulomb gauge is more convenient. Then you use a non-covariant four-potential. Of course, this is through the gauge dependence of the four-potential. The electromagnetic field is represented by the antisymmetric 2nd-rank field-strength tensor which is unanimously a Minkowski tensor.

Another very elegant possibility is to use the Riemann-Silberstein vector ##\vec{\mathfrak{F}}=\vec{E}+\mathrm{i} \vec{B}##, where the proper orthochronous Lorentz transformations are represented by ##\mathrm{SO}(3,\mathbb{C})## matrices. The rotations are of course represented by the usual ##\mathrm{SO}(3)## subgroup, and the rotation-free boosts by rotations with imaginary angles (which take the physical meaning of ##\mathrm{i}## times rapidity).

What is the Lorenz gauge?

The Lorenz gauge is a mathematical condition used in electrodynamics to simplify the equations describing the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It ensures that the equations are consistent and eliminates the presence of unphysical solutions.

What is a 4-potential?

A 4-potential is a mathematical concept used in relativity to describe the electromagnetic field. It consists of four components: a scalar potential and a vector potential in three-dimensional space, which together form a four-dimensional vector.

How is the 4-potential related to the electromagnetic field?

The 4-potential is related to the electromagnetic field through the equations of electrodynamics. The scalar potential is related to the electric field, while the vector potential is related to the magnetic field. Together, they form the electromagnetic field tensor.

What is a 4-vector?

A 4-vector is a mathematical concept used in relativity to describe physical quantities in four-dimensional space-time. It has four components, with the first representing time and the remaining three representing spatial dimensions. It follows specific transformation rules under Lorentz transformations.

Why is the Lorenz gauge important?

The Lorenz gauge is important because it simplifies the equations of electrodynamics and eliminates the presence of unphysical solutions. It is also a gauge-invariant condition, meaning that it does not change under a gauge transformation, making it a useful tool in theoretical calculations.