Proof That Given Equation is Implicit Solution of Differential Eqn

In summary, the given equation y^2 - 1 = (x + 2)^2 is an implicit solution of the given differential equation y^2 - 1 - (2y + xy)(y-prime) = 0. Using implicit differentiation, we can find y-prime without solving for y, making the problem less messy.
Color_of_Cyan
"Show that the given equation is an implicit solution of the given differential eqn"

Homework Statement

Show that the given equation is an implicit solution of the given differential equation -

y2 - 1 - (2y + xy)(y-prime) = 0

y2 - 1 = (x + 2)2

Homework Equations

y2 - 1 - (2y + xy)(y-prime) = 0

y2 - 1 = (x + 2)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I probably went wrong here: Solve for y-prime: y2 - 1 = (x + 2 )2

y2 = (x + 2)2 + 1

y = [ (x + 2)2 + 1 ]1/2

y-prime (using chain rule)= 1/ { 2 [ ( x + 2 )2 + 1 ]1/2 } * 2(x + 2)

Then I would substitute y2 = (x + 2)2 + 1 into y2 - 1 - (2y + xy)(y-prime) = 0Am I on the right track? Because the problem as you can probably see may get a little messy unless I have to check my algebra better or something. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

You aren't using the 'implicit differentiation' trick. If y^2=(x+1)^2+1 then you can find y' without solving for y. Just take d/dx of both sides. d/dx(y^2)=2*y*dy/dx. Take it from there.

Thanks I got it now, sorry to get back to this a bit late.

1. What is an implicit solution of a differential equation?

An implicit solution of a differential equation is an equation that relates the independent variable, dependent variable, and their derivatives without explicitly solving for the dependent variable. It represents a family of curves that satisfy the given differential equation.

2. How do we determine if a given equation is an implicit solution of a differential equation?

To determine if a given equation is an implicit solution of a differential equation, we can substitute the equation into the differential equation and check if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent and dependent variables. If it does, then the equation is an implicit solution.

3. Can an implicit solution be converted to an explicit solution?

Yes, an implicit solution can be converted to an explicit solution by solving for the dependent variable. This can be done using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors.

4. What are the advantages of using implicit solutions in differential equations?

Implicit solutions allow for a more general representation of the solution to a differential equation, as it includes a family of curves rather than a single solution. This can be useful in situations where the exact solution is difficult to obtain or when dealing with non-linear equations.

5. Can implicit solutions be used to solve initial value problems?

Yes, implicit solutions can be used to solve initial value problems. By substituting the initial conditions into the implicit solution, we can determine the specific curve from the family of curves that satisfies the given initial conditions.