1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show that the maximum of a multinomial distribution is given by N1=N2= =Ns=N/s

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So one of the problems in my statistical mechanics textbook (McQuarrie problem 1-50) asks to show that the maximum of a multinomial distribution is given for N1=N2=...=Ns=N/s

In the book, he shows that for large N, the binomial coefficients when taken as a function are maximized at N/2. Then he expands the natural log around that point and shows that it takes on the form of a gaussian function.

The derivation is found at this link

and the exact wording of the problem is here. Problem 50.

The first thing I don't really get where he pulls the N1*=N/2 from. I know that to actually show that isn't too difficult, but I can't just assume the same result for the multinomial case because that's what I'm trying to show.

2. Relevant equations

The multinomial coefficients are given by
    [tex]\frac{N!}{\prod_{j=1}^r N_j!}[/tex] where [itex]N_1+N_2+\cdots+N_r=N[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Just from working with the coefficients expression subject to the above constraint results in the following when maximized with Lagrange multipliers
    [tex]N\ln N - \sum N_j\ln N_j - \lambda(\sum N_j -N)=0=F(N_j)[/tex]
    [tex](-\sum_{j=1}^s\ln N_j-\lambda)\, dN_j=0[/tex] which is the total differential
    If I write out the partial derivatives with respect to each term I get
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial N_1}=-\ln N_1-1 - \lambda=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial N_2}=-\ln N_2-1 - \lambda=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial N_3}=-\ln N_3-1 - \lambda=0[/tex]

etc

So i conclude that [itex]N_1=N_2=N_3=\cdots=N_s[/itex]. At the same time, if [itex]sN_j=N[/itex] implies that [itex]N_j=N/s[/itex]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted