1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the radial component of the wave function satisfies the radial equation

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that radial components of the continuum electron wave function
    satisfies the radial equation:

[itex]{\left[\frac{-\hbar }{2m}\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(r^2\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\right)+\frac{\hbar ^2l(l+1)}{2m
    r^2}-\frac{Z e^2}{r}\right]R=E R}[/itex]

where:
    E=(k*hbar)2/2m
    R=Rkl(r)

2. Relevant equations
    so, the radial component R is given as:

[itex]{R_{\text{kl}}(r)=\frac{C_{\text{kl}}}{(2l+1)!}(2{kr})^l\text{Exp}[-\text{ikr}]*F(i/k+l+1,2l+1;2\text{ikr})}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I have rewritten R as:

Rkl(r)= C rl Exp[-ikr] F[i/k + l + 1,2l+1;2ikr]

where in C is everything that does not depend on r.

Great, I was thinking this will be pretty straightforward to show.

My reasoning was to insert R in the above radial equation, take those derivatives and at the end I will be able the factorize R out, so that I'm left with something like
    HR=AR where A is the energy.

It did not work out like that :smile:
    After taking the derivatives I'm left with a mess and I don't see how to factorize R out.
    I mean, derivatives of Exp[-ikr] give me back the same function (multiplied by constant) so I can factorize that out but rl and F give me problems after derivation.
    Also I was looking at the properties of these confluent hypergeometric functions F
    and tried to adjust them back to original function but without success.

Can someone say whether I'm on the right track trying to solve the problem like that or
    have I completely missed the point ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting problem. I would first try to relabel the confluent hypergeom function as u(r) and plug the solution into the original ODE. Then I'd be led to a second order ODE for u(r) which should have exactly the same solution with the confluent hypergeom function I'm given.

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure if I understood you well, but this is what I have tried:

Now R is given as:

Rkl(r)= C rl Exp[-ikr] u[r]

And a second order ODE that u[r] obeys is:

[itex]z\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{^{2}}}+(b-z)\frac{du}{dz}-au=0[/itex]

where u is u[r]~F[a,b,z]=F[i/k+l+1,2l+1,2ikr]

So, I should insert R the into radial equation and with the help of this ODE for u[r] somehow simplify the result, right ?
    Ok, I focused here only on the result I get when acting on R with this part of the radial equation
    [itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}(r^{2}\frac{\partial }{\partial r})[/itex]

the result after acting on R with this part is:
    [itex]{c e^{-i k r} r^{-2+l} \left(\left(l+l^2-2 i k l r-k r (2 i+k r)\right) u[r]+r \left(2 (1+l-i k r) u'[r]+r u''[r]\right)\right)}[/itex]

Now, I have tried to bring this expression(or a part of it) to form of ODE for u[r].
    But when I adjust the coefficient that multiplies u''[r] so that I have 2ikr*u''[r] , which is required by the ODE for u[r] then the coefficient for u'[r] is not in a proper form anymore.
    And the rest of the equation is also of no help since these are the only u''[r] and u'[r] terms.
    So I'm stuck again :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook