1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that V is a direct sum

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##T\in L(V,V)## such that ##T^{2}=1##. Show that ##V=V_{+}\oplus V_{-}## where ##V_{+}=\{v\in V:T(v)=v\}## and ##V_{-}=\{v\in V:T(v)=-v\}##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was given a theorem that said that ##V## is the direct sum if and only if every vector in ##V## can be expressed as a sum ##v=v_{1}+v_{2}## where ##v_{1}\in V_{+}## and ##v_{2}\in V_{-}## and if ##v_{1}+v_{2}=0## then ##v_{1}=v_{2}=0##.

I was able to show that if ##v_{1}+v_{2}=0## then ##v_{1}=v_{2}=0## but I am not able to show that every vector in ##V## can be expressed as a sum ##v=v_{1}+v_{2}## where ##v_{1}\in V_{+}## and ##v_{2}\in V_{-}##.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let v be any vector in V. Let u= T(v). Since [itex]T^2= 1[/itex], T(u)= v. Then T(u- v)= T(u)- T(v)= v- u= -(u- v) and T(u+ v)= T(u)+ T(v)= v+ u= u+ v.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    I am a little confused on how this shows that any v can be expressed as a sum of v1 and v2. It looks to me like it just shows that any vector is either in v1 or v2.

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you need to reread Hall's proof. v is ANY vector. u isn't any vector. u=T(v). v=(v+u)+(v-u). v+u is in ##V_{+}## and (v-u) is in ##V_{-}##.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5
    AH! Thanks! I was a little too frustrated with this problem to be able to read his proof clearly...

7. Oct 5, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but I've got a typo. v=(v+u)/2+(v-u)/2. Hope you noticed.

8. Oct 5, 2013 #7
    Yea I got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted