1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that x^3=y^3 implies x=y

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    the question is from the book "elementary geometry from an advanced standpoint 3rd edition" by edwin e. moise

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given x>0 and y>0, show that x^3 = y^3 => x = y. Does this hold for all every x and y?

2. Relevant equations
    a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    so what i did was subtract y^3 from both sides to get
    x^3-y^3 = 0

then i factored it out to
    (x-y)(x^2+xy+y^2) = 0

because we know that x>0 and y>0, the second term (x^2+xy+y^2) is always positive. because of this (x-y) must equal zero
    then we setup the equation x-y=0
    x=y.

i think i did this correctly, but since i am teaching myself out of this book (i just want to learn more about geometry because i felt like i was never taught it well) i have no way of verifying if this is correct

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, ironman14781 :smile:

Looks good!

Btw, this holds true for every x and y (real numbers).
    Why would you think otherwise?

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    edit: nvm, i read the question wrong. i see what you and the question mean now lol

thanx

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

No....? :confused:

But then the conditions do not hold either:
    y>0
    x^3=y^3
    x=y

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is not a matter of "x< 0, y> 0". If x and y are any two numbers such that [itex]x^3= y^3[/itex], then x= y. It may be that x and y are both postive or that they are both negative (or both 0).
    If x and y are both negative then xy is positive so it is still true that [itex]x^2+ xy+ y^2[/itex] is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook