Show that x^3=y^3 implies x=y

• Thread starter ironman1478
  • Start date
If x is negative and y is positive then xy is negative but x^2+ xy+ y^2 is still positive. (x^2+ xy+ y^2= (x^2- xy+ y^2)+ 2xy= (x- y)^2+ 2xy. Since x^2+ xy+ y^2 is positive, the only way for the product (x- y)(x^2+ xy+ y^2) to be 0 is for x- y to be 0. Of course, in that case, x= y.
ironman1478
the question is from the book "elementary geometry from an advanced standpoint 3rd edition" by edwin e. moise

Homework Statement

Given x>0 and y>0, show that x^3 = y^3 => x = y. Does this hold for all every x and y?

Homework Equations

a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

so what i did was subtract y^3 from both sides to get
x^3-y^3 = 0

then i factored it out to
(x-y)(x^2+xy+y^2) = 0

because we know that x>0 and y>0, the second term (x^2+xy+y^2) is always positive. because of this (x-y) must equal zero
then we setup the equation x-y=0
x=y.

i think i did this correctly, but since i am teaching myself out of this book (i just want to learn more about geometry because i felt like i was never taught it well) i have no way of verifying if this is correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ironman14781 :smile:

Looks good!

Btw, this holds true for every x and y (real numbers).
Why would you think otherwise?

edit: nvm, i read the question wrong. i see what you and the question mean now lol

thanx

ironman1478 said:
if y is negative and x is positive then their cubes can't be equal right?

No...? :confused:

But then the conditions do not hold either:
y>0
x^3=y^3
x=y

It is not a matter of "x< 0, y> 0". If x and y are any two numbers such that [itex]x^3= y^3[/itex], then x= y. It may be that x and y are both postive or that they are both negative (or both 0).
If x and y are both negative then xy is positive so it is still true that [itex]x^2+ xy+ y^2[/itex] is positive.

What is the meaning of x^3 and y^3 in this equation?

x^3 and y^3 represent the cube of x and y, respectively. This means that the numbers are multiplied by themselves three times.

Why is it important to show that x^3=y^3 implies x=y?

It is important because it is a fundamental property of equality. If two numbers have the same cube, then they must be equal to each other.

How can you prove that x^3=y^3 implies x=y?

The proof involves using the fact that if two numbers have the same cube, then they must have the same square. This can be shown by taking the square root of both sides of the equation.

Are there any exceptions to this property of equality?

No, there are no exceptions. This property holds true for all real numbers.

Can this property be extended to higher powers, such as x^4=y^4 implies x=y?

Yes, this property can be extended to any power. If two numbers have the same fourth power, then they must be equal to each other.