Show the commutative property with dot product

In summary, the dot product has a commutative property, meaning that the order of the vectors in the product does not affect the result. This can be proven by using the distributive property and the fact that the dot product is a definition. The dot product can also be extended to 3 dimensions. To show that \vec{b}\bullet\vec{a} = \vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}, evaluate each side and make use of the commutativity of ordinary addition.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, does anyone know the proof of the dot products communative property (a)(b) = (b)(a) or any websites that show the dot products communative property? or other properties? Thanks! The book only shows the distributed property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write a.b and then b.a in terms of the components or as |a||b|cosO. Commutativity of the dot products follows from commutativity of addition (resp. multiplication) in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

(a1 i + b1 j) [itex]\bullet[/itex] (a2 i + b2 j) =

a1 i [itex]\bullet[/itex] a2 i + a1 i [itex]\bullet[/itex] b2 j + b1 j [itex]\bullet[/itex] a2 i + b1 j [itex]\bullet[/itex] b2 j =

remember i [itex]\bullet[/itex] i = j [itex]\bullet[/itex] j = 1, and i [itex]\bullet[/itex] j = j [itex]\bullet[/itex] i = 0,

then regroup and show something similar to

a * b = b * a

and this can be extended to 3 dimensions

well, the dot product is a definition.

as such

[tex]
\vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}=

\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a_x \\
a_y\\
a_z
\end{array}
\right)
\bullet
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
b_x \\
b_y\\
b_z
\end{array}
\right)
=a_xb_x + a_yb_x + a_zb_z
[/tex]

so, what is [tex]\vec{b}\bullet\vec{a}[/tex]?

Cool so all I really need to show is this? or doesn't this prove it yet? Thanks for the replies everyone
[tex]
\vec{b}\bullet\vec{a}=

\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
b_x \\
b_y\\
b_z
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a_x \\
a_y\\
a_z
\end{array}
\right)
\bullet

=b_xa_x + b_xa_y + b_za_z
[/tex]

You need to show that
[tex]\vec{b}\bullet\vec{a} = \vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}[/tex]

Evaluate each side and compare. Make use of the commutivity of ordinary addition, as quasar987 advised.

What is the commutative property?

The commutative property is a mathematical property that states that the order of operations does not affect the result. In other words, if we switch the order of two numbers being multiplied, we will get the same result.

How is the commutative property applied to dot product?

In dot product, the commutative property states that the order of the vectors being multiplied does not affect the result. In other words, the dot product of vector A and B is the same as the dot product of vector B and A.

Why is the commutative property important in dot product?

The commutative property is important in dot product because it allows us to simplify calculations and make them more efficient. We can rearrange the order of the vectors being multiplied without affecting the final result, which can be helpful in complex mathematical operations.

Can you provide an example of how the commutative property is used in dot product?

For example, if we have two vectors A = [2, 3, 4] and B = [5, 6, 7], the dot product of these two vectors is 2*5 + 3*6 + 4*7 = 38. If we switch the order of the vectors, the dot product will still be 38, showing that the commutative property holds true for dot product.

Does the commutative property only apply to dot product?

No, the commutative property also applies to other mathematical operations such as addition and multiplication. It states that the order of the numbers being added or multiplied does not affect the final result.