Show Inequality: Explain Why $g(k) \geq \frac{3^k}{2k+1}$ in Football Matches

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the probability of being at most one off is the number of successful combinations $2k+1$ divided by the total number of combinations $3^k$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that $k$ football matches are being done and a bet consists of the prediction of the result of each match, where the result can be 1 if the first group wins, 2 if the second group wins, or 0 if we have tie. So a bet is an element of $\{0,1,2 \}^k$. I want to show that $g(k) \geq \frac{3^k}{2k+1}$ where $g(k)$ is the minimum number of bets that is required so that it is sure that at least the second prize will be winned (there will be a bet with at most one wrong prediction).

Could you explain to me why the inequality holds?

Physics news on Phys.org
In total there are $3^k$ possible results, and $2k+1$ results that could be off by one prediction.
But why do we divide $3^k$ by $2k+1$ in order to get a bound for $g(k)$ ?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

That doesn't look quite right. (Worried)
Suppose we pick $k=2$ and suppose the actual result is unknown.
Then we'll need a minimum of 3 bets to guarantee we're at most one off.
That is, however we place 2 bets, there is always a combination left that is 2 off - we need at least 3.
But your formula suggests that 2 bets would be sufficient.

Then again, if we look at it differently, and we place a random bet, the probability of being at most one off is the number of successful combinations $2k+1$ divided by the total number of combinations $3^k$:
$$P(\text{at most one off}) = \frac{2k+1}{3^k}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

That doesn't look quite right. (Worried)
Suppose we pick $k=2$ and suppose the actual result is unknown.
Then we'll need a minimum of 3 bets to guarantee we're at most one off.
That is, however we place 2 bets, there is always a combination left that is 2 off - we need at least 3.
But your formula suggests that 2 bets would be sufficient.

Then, there will be one possible result for the first match, and 3 for the second one... Or 3 for the first match and 1 for the second match, right?

That's why we need 3 bets? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
Then again, if we look at it differently, and we place a random bet, the probability of being at most one off is the number of successful combinations $2k+1$ divided by the total number of combinations $3^k$:
$$P(\text{at most one off}) = \frac{2k+1}{3^k}$$
(Thinking)

Can we use this probability to get a bound for $g(k)$? If so, how?

Last edited:
evinda said:
Then, there will be one possible result for the first match, and 3 for the second one... Or 3 for the first match and 1 for the second match, right?

That's why we need 3 bets? (Thinking)

Suppose we place the bets (0,1) and (1,2).
Then it's still possible for the actual outcome to be (2,0), meaning we don't achieve 2nd place.
We'll need a third bet to cover that.
Can we use this probability to get a bound for $g(k)$? If so, how?

If we keep placing random bets, we have a binomial distribution.
That means we can expect $np$ successes after placing $n$ random bets.
If we pick $n=\frac 1p$, we can expect $1$ success. (Thinking)

Using the sphere packing bound we get the desired inequality... (Thinking)

evinda said:
Using the sphere packing bound we get the desired inequality... (Thinking)

Erm... I'm not really familiar with the sphere packing bound. (Tmi)
Can you clarify? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Erm... I'm not really familiar with the sphere packing bound. (Tmi)
Can you clarify? (Wondering)

We consider a code that contains each possible sequences of the $k$ bets, with length $k$ ,$M$ codewords and covering radius $1$.

For each $ x \in \mathbb{F}_3^k $, the distance of any codeword ist $ c_i $ is at most $1$ (since the covering radius is 1).

So $ x$ belongs to a sphere of radius 1 , the $S_{\mathbb{F}_q}(c_i, 1) $.
So we have that $ \mathbb{F}_3^m \subset \bigcup_{i=1}^M S_{\mathbb{F}_q}(c_i,1)$ .

And then by looking at the cardinality of these sets, we get the desired bound.

1. What is the significance of $g(k)$ in football matches?

$g(k)$ represents the number of goals scored by a team in the kth match. It is used as a measure of the team's performance in a single match.

2. How does $g(k)$ relate to the inequality $\frac{3^k}{2k+1}$ in football matches?

The inequality suggests that the number of goals scored by a team in a match is greater than or equal to $\frac{3^k}{2k+1}$, indicating a strong performance by the team.

3. What does the inequality say about the performance of a team in a football match?

The inequality suggests that the team is likely to score a high number of goals in a match, which is a sign of a strong and dominant performance.

4. Is the inequality always true for all football matches?

No, the inequality is not always true for all football matches. It is a generalization based on statistical analysis and may not hold true for every single match.

5. How can the inequality be used in analyzing football matches?

The inequality can be used to compare the performance of different teams in a match and identify which team has a higher chance of scoring a higher number of goals. It can also be used to predict the outcome of a match based on the team's performance in previous matches.