1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the map is isomorphic

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose H is an infinite cyclic subgroup of Z. Show that H and Z are isomorphic.

2. Relevant equations

We know that any infinite cyclic group H isomorphic to Z.
    H = <a> ≠ <0>
    |a| = ∞

3. The attempt at a solution

Define f : Z → H | f(k) = ak for all k in Z. We want to show that f is injective, surjective and operation preserving.

( Note, I think that map is correct. Since Z is an additive group in this case i think ak is the same as saying ka )

Case : Injectivity. Suppose that f(k) = f(q) for integers k and q. We want to show k = q. So :

f(k) = f(q)
    ka = qa
    (k-q)a = 0

We know that |a| = ∞ and (k-q) is in Z. Hence our equation reduces to k-q = 0 and thus k=q. Therefore f is injective.

Case : Surjectivity. Pick r in H. Then f(k) = ka = r for some integer k. ( Having a bit of trouble with this one ). So :

Case : Operation preserving ( Homomorphic ). To show f is a homomorphism, we must show that f(k+q) = f(k) + f(q) for integers k and q. So :

f(k+q) = ka + kq = f(k) +f(q)

Hence f is a homomorphism.

Now if I could get a bit of help showing that f is surjective, that will mean f is a bijective homomorphism aka an isomorphism and thus Z≈H and H≈Z.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is pretty good. The DEFINITION of <a> is Za. So if r is in <a> then r=ka for some k in Z. So f(k)=r. It's kind of obviously surjective.

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yeah I didnt know whether I had to actually justify it or to say it was trivial. I guess I got my answer then.

Thanks

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You ALWAYS have to justify it. Quoting a definition and showing why it works is a fine way to do that. Just saying 'it's trivial' is criminally lame. Don't do that! You didn't think it's trivial, why should someone else? Please forget my 'kind of obvious' comment.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook