1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show theta<beta

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

θ12-γθ1+β=0

Show that

0<θ1

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for θ1=0, θ12-γθ1+β>0:
    Substituting, we get 02-0+β=β, which is positive.

I don't know how to show that for θ1=λ, θ12-γθ1+β<0.

I also don't know how to show that these results imply that there is zero between these two values. Which in turns means that 0<θ1<β.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2
    Well, θ12-γθ1+β=0 is just a quadratic equation in θ1, so there should be at most two possible values for θ1, in terms of the other parameters.

[tex]\theta_{1} = \frac{\gamma\pm\sqrt{\gamma^{2}-4\beta}}{2}[/tex]

But as things stand, you haven't given nearly enough information to assert the inequalities required. For example, why shouldn't β be zero or even negative? Is γ greater than zero, greater than one?

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    consider for instance β=0 and y=θ then θ can be whatever you like as long as y is also!

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    OK so I found this on your other request, and it looks like it could apply here.
    but that just means that the relative sizes of θ1 and β depend on θ2. So still no closer to that inequality - there's something you aren't telling us about this question...

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This thread is very similar in topic to a thread you started one day earlier: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3717073#post3717073 .

Where did λ (lambda) come from, or should that be γ (gamma) ?

I suppose we can infer that β > 0 from the inequality, 0<θ1<β, and because you mentioned it in passing, "Substituting, we get 02-0+β=β, which is positive."

It makes no sense to plug values such as 0 or γ or λ in for θ1 in the quadratic polynomial θ12-γθ1+β to see if 0<θ1<β .

As Joffan said, you need more information regarding β and γ, before you can say much about θ1 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook