1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show this is a basis

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    Let β be a basis for ℝ over Q (the set of all rational numbers) and let a[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ, a≠1.

Show that aβ={ay|y[itex]\in[/itex]β} is a basis for ℝ over Q for all a≠0.

So I need to show (1) Linear independence, and (2) spanning. I am a little confused, especially because the dimension for the vector space is uncountably infinite.
    Here is what I have for linear independence:

I took a finite subset of aβ, {az|z[itex]\in[/itex]S[itex]\subset[/itex]β, |S|<|ℝ|} (not sure if I wrote that correctly), so if

[itex]\sum_{z\in S}[/itex]az=0

then z must be zero since a≠0 (initial assumption). Therefore, it follows that aβ is linearly independent.

Is this correct?
    I don't know how to approach spanning.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This seems like armwaving to me.
    Do you have a sense of what this problem is about? In particular, what a basis over Q that spans R might look like? For example, can you list a few of the basis elements of such a basis?

Given that β is some basis, you need to show that aβ is also a basis, where a ≠ 0.

To show that any set is a basis for some space, you need to do two things:
    1. Show that the set of basis elements is linearly independent.
    2. Show that the set of basis elements spans the space.

The latter requirement means that if x ##\in## R, then x can be written as a linear combination of the basis elements.

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    Honestly, I can't fully grasp it intuitively. I know how a basis is for ℝ with n-dimension, but not ℝ.
    I just can't see how something can span ℝ, is the standard basis applicable here?

If I can't show linear independence/spanning the usual way, how should I do this?

Thanks.

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You do show independence the usual way. You need to show that for any finite subset ##\{v_1,v_2,\dots,v_n\} \subset a\beta## that
    $$q_1 v_1 + q_2 v_2 + \cdots + q_n v_n = 0$$ implies ##q_1=q_2=\cdots=q_n=0##, where ##q_i \in \mathbb{Q}##. What you wrote above doesn't show this. For one thing, there's no mention of the ##q_i##'s.

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5
    But a basis for ℝ over Q is uncountable, so how can I take a finite, countable subset?

7. Nov 18, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because that's the definition of linear independence. To show it's linearly independent you need to show every finite subset is linearly independent.

8. Nov 18, 2013 #7
    Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I take a finite subset, I thought it won't be countable? Like I can't order the terms...

9. Nov 18, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Finite implies countable.

10. Nov 18, 2013 #9
    So if I take a finite subset of ℝ, then I can order the terms? Sorry, I just want to clarify.

11. Nov 18, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's the precise definition of finite? If you know this basic definition, you should be able to answer your own question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted