1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show this is analytic

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    This isn't my whole question, just part of the question I am trying to do to show the whole thing is analytic.

I can do the rest but showing this is analytic:

Is trickey for me..

I am trying to show it is analytic by showing it satisfies the cauchy riemann equations.

I take z = x + iy

And my function turns into (after simplifying)

[x^3 - 3xy^2 + 1 + i(3yx^2 - y^3)] / (x + iy -1)

Now I can split the numerator in real and imaginary parts, but the denominator has an i in it which is in the way for me, hence I can't split the whole thing into real and imaginary parts. So I can't show it satisfies the CRE.

Anyone know, or should I not be using the CRE?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    Try multiplying the numerator and denominator of your expression by the complex conjugate of the denominator (that is, x-1-i y). What happens?
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    Ah thanks :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the largest subset of C (complex numbers) on which the following function is analytic, and compute its derivative.

2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to compute it's derivative right now, but how would I find its largest subset?
  5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    First find where the function is not analytic.

The same question was posed at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=278123
  6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    so by that do u mean it is no analytic when z = 1?
  7. Dec 9, 2008 #6
    Apparantly it can be dont the same way as with real numbers, but I don't know how to do that either lol..
  8. Dec 9, 2008 #7
    bump before bed
  9. Dec 9, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only point in question is z=1. The best outcome there would be that it's a removable singularity. It's not. Can you show that it's not?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?