Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show this need NOT be an ideal

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    Let I,J be ideals of a ring R. Show that the set of products of elements of I,J need not be an ideal (by counterexample - I have been trying to use a polynomial ring).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And how has it gone? What examples have you tried, and where has it gone wrong?
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    I think I may have solved it now, and would appreciate confirmation or corrections:

Let R[x,y] be the ring of polynomials with real coefficients. Let I be the ideal containing all elements of C with zero constant term. Let J be the ideal containing all elements of C with zero constant term and zero coefficients of x, y and xy.

Then I has multiples of x, y, xy, x^2, y^2, etc.
    And J has multiples of x^2, y^2, x*y^2, y*x^2, etc.

Now IJ contains x*x^2 = x^3 and y*y^2 = y^3.

But x^3 + y^3 is factorised uniquely (since to irreducible factors) as (x + y)(x^2 - xy + y^2). Neither of these polynomials is in J, and therefore the sum is not an element of IJ. So IJ is not closed under addition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?