1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show x^2 is continuous.

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show x^2 is continuous, on all reals, using a delta/epsilon argument.

Let E>0. I want to find a D s.t. whenever d(x,y)<D d(f(x),f(y))<E.
    WLOG let x>y
    |x^2-y^2|=x^2-y^2=(x-y)(x+y)<D(x+y)

I am trying to bound x+y, but can't figure out how.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One problem is that you have the epsilon-delta statement wrong. What you wrote is the definition of "uniformly continuous", and squaring is not uniformly continuous.

Uniform continuity requires a delta that works for all values of y. Continuity only requires that, for each value of y, there exists a delta. If it helps, you should think of the delta you are choosing as a function of y.

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3
    Maybe writing x+y=x-y+2y will help?

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You need to show: given any real number, a, then for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|x^2- a^2|< \epsilon[/itex].

You might start by factoring [itex]|x^2- a^2|< |x-a||x+ a|[/itex].

Now, if x is close to a, so x- a is close to 0, how large can x+ a be?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  6. Jul 16, 2010 #5

then x+a approaches 2a...

I feel like I should just take delta = sqrt(epsilon), and I'm fairly confident any delta less than that will suffice. I do not really understand how to show that though.

7. Jul 17, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Saying x+ a "approaches" 2a is not enough. If [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]-\delta< x- a< \delta[/itex] so, adding 2a to each part, [itex]2a- \delta< x+ a< 2a+ \delta[/itex].

Now you can say [itex]|(x-a)(x+a)|= |x-a||x+a|< (a+\delta)|x- a|[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  8. Jul 17, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed your LaTeX.
    Tip: Make sure that LaTeX expressions start and end with the same type of tag. [ tex] ... [ /tex] and [ itex] ... [ /itex]. You sometimes start the expression with [ itex] and end with [ /math]. I'm not sure that this Web site can render [ math] ... [ /math] expressions, but I am sure that you can't mix them.

9. Jul 17, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Thanks, Mark44. I just need to learn to check my responses before going on!

10. Jul 17, 2010 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's advice I'm trying to give myself, too.:approve:

11. Jul 17, 2010 #10
    How do this demonstrate the continuity? I mean, what you're saying is the same than [tex]\lim_{x \to c}{f(x)} = f(c)[/tex], but in delta epsilon notation? I don't get it :P

12. Jul 18, 2010 #11
    shouldn't we conclude that

[itex]
    |(x-a)(x+a)|= |x-a||x+a|< (2a+\delta)|x- a|
    [/itex]
    ?

I still want to clearly define delta as a function of x, epsilon, and a (even though a is a constant)

I see the trick that was used to bound |x^2-a^2| and that was neat, but now I am confused.

If I solved
    [itex]
    (2a+\delta)|x- a|<\epsilon
    [/itex]

for delta would that give me a correctly bounded delta?

13. Jul 18, 2010 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have a typo there....

No, you want it as a function of epsilon and a. (Check your quantifiers -- delta is "chosen" before x enters the picture)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook