1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a given set of vectors forms a Parseval frame

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the vectors
    ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0), \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right), \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)##
    form a Parseval frame of ##\mathbb{R}^2##, but are neither linearly independent nor orthonormal

2. Relevant equations

The definition of Parseval frame, according to class notes, is
    "A sequence of vectors ##\displaystyle\left\{x_i \right\}_{i=1}^{k}## of an inner product space ##V## of dimension ##n (n\leq k)## is called a Parseval frame for ##V## if ##\forall x\in V##,
    ##||x||^2=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{k}|\langle x,x_i \rangle|^2##.​

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the definition. Or maybe I do, I just don't know how to implement it.

What I've got so far:
    ##||x||^2 = \langle x,x\rangle = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{3}|\langle x,x_i \rangle|^2##
    ##||x||^2 = \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0)\right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2##

##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[\left|\left\langle x,(1,0)\right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2\right]##

Then, I suppose I take the dot product since ##\mathbb{R}^2## is my inner product space, so I let ##x = (x_1,x_2)##, where ##x_1,x_2\in\mathbb{R}##. Then I write
    ##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[|x_1|^2 + \left| -\frac{1}{2}x_1 + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x_2 \right|^2 + \left| -\frac{1}{2}x_1 - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x_2 \right|^2\right]##

Factoring out some constants gives me
    ##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[|x_1|^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left|x_1 - \sqrt{3}x_2 \right|^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left|x_1 + \sqrt{3}x_2 \right|^2\right]##

And that's all I've done. I'm not sure if I'm even doing this right. I've already shown that the vectors aren't linearly independent and orthonormal. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?