1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a group is abelian

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1

StatusX

Homework Helper

I have a couple questions involving showing a group with certain properties is abelian.

1. For the first, I'm supposed to show that if some group G has the property that (ab)i=aibi for some three consecutive integers i and all a,b in G, then G must be abelian. Using (aba-1)i=abia-1=aibia-i, I've been able to show that a2b=ba2 for all a,b in G, but I can't get any farther.

2. The second is similar. Given that a finite group G has order not divisible by 3, and for every a,b in G, (ab)3=a3b3, show G is abelian. By defining an automorphism on G by sending a to a3, I've been able to show every element has a unique cube root. Using this, I've shown a2b=ba2, as above. But now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Problem 1

Your work doesn't look right. How do you get abia-1 = aibia-i?

Let I = {i-2, i-1, i} be a set of three consecutive integers such that for all a, b in G, and all k in I, (ab)k = akbk

Hints:

1. Starting with (ab)i = aibi, deduce that (ba)i-1 = (ab)i-1

2. Deduce, somehow, that (ba)i-2 = (ab)i-2

4. Mar 6, 2006 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note, for problem 2, you don't need to show that x |-> x³ is an automorphism. Simply show that it is injective (it doesn't even need to be a homomorphism). Then, since G is finite, you know the map is surjective, and this is all you need to show that each element has a unique cube root.

5. Mar 6, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Thanks for the help. (ba)i=b(ab)i-1a. It's so simple, and pops out at you if you write the product out, but I was going a completely different way with the problem and would never have thought of it. Both answers follow easily from it.

And by the way, since conjugation by an element is a homomorphism (in fact, an automorphism), then (aba-1)i=abia-1.

6. Mar 6, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My issue wasn't with (aba-1)i = abia-1, it was with abia-1 = aibia-i. However, I now see where you got that:

(aba-1)i = aibia-i by the special property given to us
    (aba-1)i = abia-1 because it's an easy fact for any group

Using a similar idea for problem 2, you get:

a³b³a-³ = ab³a-1
    a²b³ = b³a²

so every square commutes with every cube. But since you can prove that every element is a cube (i.e. it has a cube root), you can say that every square commutes with every element. Not sure where to go from here.

7. Mar 6, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

Well, using a similar idea as the one you suggested for the first problem, you can show (ab)2=b2a2. Then you can pull a factor of b on the right side to the other side of a2, and its easy from there.

8. Mar 6, 2006 #7

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I first looked at the problem, I did get that (ab)² = b²a². However, I don't see where to go from there. In fact, what do you even mean by:

Then you can pull a factor of b on the right side to the other side of a2, and its easy from there.

9. Mar 6, 2006 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh wait.

(ab)³ = a³b³
    ababab = aaabbb
    baba = aabb
    (ba)² = a²b²

Now this, in conjunction with the fact that the squares commute with everything, gives

(ba)² = b²a²
    baba = bbaa
    ab = ba []

Is that what you had in mind?

10. Mar 6, 2006 #9

StatusX

Homework Helper

More or less. I actually specifically meant:

(ab)2=b2a2
    abab=b(ba2)=b(a2b)=baab
    ab=ba

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?