1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a group is infinite and nonabelian given its presentation

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is out of Hungerford's Algebra (Graduate Texts in Mathematics). Page 69,#7:

Show that the group defined by generators a,b and relations [itex]a^2=e, b^3 = e[/itex] is infinite and nonabelian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My professor gave hints, suggesting that we construct an onto homomorphism using Van Dyck's Theorem. Here is a sketch of my proof:

Let [itex] G = \langle a, b | a^2 = e, b^3 = e \rangle[/itex]. By Van Dyck's Theorem, there exists a unique onto homomorphism from G to [itex]D_3[/itex]. Note that [itex] D_3 = \langle a^i b^j : 0 \leq i \leq 1, 0 \leq j \leq 2 \rangle[/itex]. Thus G is nonabelian since [itex]D_3[/itex] is nonabelian.

To show that G is infinite consider [itex] \alpha, \beta \in S_\mathbb{N} [/itex], where α = (34)(67)... and β = (123)(456)... . Here o(α) = 2 and o(β) = 3, but [itex] |\langle \alpha, \beta \rangle | = \infty [/itex]. Again, by Van Dyck's Theorem, there exists a unique onto homomorphism from G to [itex] \langle\alpha, \beta \rangle [/itex]. Therefore G is infinite. [itex] \blacksquare[/itex]

Why does the existence and uniqueness of an onto homomorphism to a group with these properties give the group G the desired properties?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?