1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a Sum

1. May 28, 2006 #1
    I want to show that [tex] \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x} [/tex] using the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. In a hint it says to write the sum as [tex] (1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} [/tex]. How did they arrive at this? Did they factor out the [tex] 1-x [/tex]. I dont see how they did this. I would then write [tex] x^{k} [/tex] as [tex] x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1} [/tex]. Then what?

Thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Let the sum be represented by S. You want to find a neat expression for S.

One way to do that is to multiply S by (1-x). List out a few terms of S (maybe the first four, then "..." then the last two terms). Now multiply that by (1-x) term by term. Add up the like powers (same exponent of x) and see what happens. You will end up very quickly at the required proof.

4. May 28, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Another way is that:
    Let:
    [tex]S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ n)[/tex]
    Now multiply both sides by x, we have:
    [tex]x S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ {n + 1}) = \sum_{n = 2} ^ {k + 1} (x ^ n)[/tex]
    Now, from the 2 equations above, what can you do to get (1 - x) S?
    Can you go from here? :)

5. May 28, 2006 #4
    Yup, I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?