How to prove invariance of I in this system?

In summary, an invariant system is one that remains unchanged regardless of external influences or changes in conditions. It is important to show that a system is invariant because it provides evidence of reliability and predictability, allows for better understanding and control, and identifies potential flaws or vulnerabilities. Proving a system is invariant can be done through mathematical proof, simulation and testing, or empirical observation. Some common examples of invariant systems include physical laws, mathematical equations, and computer programs. While it is unlikely for a system to be completely invariant, it can be considered approximately invariant if it remains consistent within an acceptable margin of error.
rg2004

Homework Statement

Show that I = log(u)-u+2log(v)-v is an invariant of the following system
[itex]
\dot{u}=u(v-2)[/itex]

[itex]
\dot{v}=v(1-u)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question was given on a homework assignment, but I have very little idea what it is asking for and even less of an idea of how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rg2004! :smile:
rg2004 said:
Show that I = log(u)-u+2log(v)-v is an invariant of the following system …

it just means that I-dot is zero :wink:

What is an invariant system?

An invariant system is one in which certain properties or characteristics remain unchanged regardless of any external influences or changes in conditions. In other words, the system remains constant or consistent.

Why is it important to show that a system is invariant?

Showing that a system is invariant is important because it provides evidence that the system is reliable and predictable. It also allows for better understanding and control of the system, as well as identification of any potential flaws or vulnerabilities.

How can you prove that a system is invariant?

There are various methods for proving that a system is invariant, including mathematical proof, simulation and testing, and empirical observation. It typically involves analyzing and verifying the system's behavior under different conditions and scenarios.

What are some common examples of invariant systems?

Some common examples of invariant systems include physical laws such as gravity and conservation of energy, mathematical equations and formulas, and computer algorithms and programs.

Can a system ever be completely invariant?

No, it is highly unlikely for a system to be completely invariant. In reality, all systems are subject to some degree of change or external influences. However, a system can be considered approximately invariant if it remains consistent within an acceptable margin of error or deviation.