Showing ADM angular momentum to be well-defined and finite

In summary, to show that the ADM definition of angular momentum is well-defined and finite, you must show that the integrand has a limit as r approaches infinity, which can be achieved by choosing an r-dependence for \overline{g}_{mn} and k_{mn} that ensures the integrand is asymptotically constant.
Albereo
Hello! I am trying to show that the ADM definition of angular momentum is well-defined and finite. Here is the definition:

[itex]J^{i}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]lim_{r\rightarrow\infty}[/itex][itex]\int_{S_{r}}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{ijm}[/itex] [itex]x^{j}[/itex] ([itex]k_{mn}[/itex] - [itex]\overline{g}_{mn}[/itex] [itex]tr k[/itex]) [itex]d[/itex][itex]S_{n}[/itex]

I'm working with an asymptotically flat, complete, Riemannian spacelike hypersurface along with the r-dependence for [itex]\overline{g}_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]k_{ij}[/itex].

Any insight on how I might go about showing that this is well-defined? Finite? Essentially I want to come up with a condition on the r-dependence that guarantees these properties.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To show that the ADM definition of angular momentum is well-defined and finite, you need to show that the integral over the surface at infinity converges. To do this, you must show that the integrand (i.e. the expression in the brackets) has a limit as r approaches infinity. Since \overline{g}_{mn} tr k is independent of r, it suffices to show that k_{mn} has a limit as r approaches infinity. To show that k_{mn} has a limit, first note that it can be written as a sum of terms of the form k_{mn} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{a}\partial_{b}\overline{g}_{mn}. Now, since \overline{g}_{mn} is assumed to be asymptotically flat, all of its derivatives should become asymptotically constant as r approaches infinity. Thus, k_{mn} will be a sum of terms of the form k_{mn} = \frac{1}{2}\overline{C}_{ab}\overline{g}_{mn} where \overline{C}_{ab} is a constant tensor. Since the product of two constants is a constant, we have that k_{mn} is asymptotically constant as r approaches infinity and thus the integral over the surface at infinity will converge.

1. What is ADM angular momentum?

ADM angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion in a system, calculated using the Arnowitt-Deser-Misner (ADM) formalism in general relativity. It takes into account both the mass and angular momentum of a system and is used to study the dynamics of black holes and other astrophysical objects.

2. Why is it important to show that ADM angular momentum is well-defined and finite?

It is important to demonstrate that ADM angular momentum is well-defined and finite because it ensures that the calculations and predictions made using this concept are valid and reliable. It also helps to establish the consistency and accuracy of the ADM formalism in general relativity.

3. How is ADM angular momentum calculated?

ADM angular momentum is calculated by integrating the energy-momentum tensor over a closed surface surrounding the system. This integral takes into account the energy and flux of the system, as well as the gravitational field and its derivatives.

4. What factors can affect the value of ADM angular momentum?

The value of ADM angular momentum can be affected by the mass and angular momentum of the system, as well as the geometry of the surrounding space-time. It can also be influenced by the presence of other objects or forces, such as gravitational waves or electromagnetic fields.

5. How is the finiteness of ADM angular momentum proven?

The finiteness of ADM angular momentum is proven through mathematical calculations and analysis using the ADM formalism. By carefully considering the equations and boundary conditions involved, it can be shown that the integral representing ADM angular momentum converges to a finite value.