Showing asymptotic orbital stability

In summary: This proves that every trajectory, except r = 0, is asymptotically orbitally stable. In summary, we proved that for any initial condition (r(0), theta(0)) that is not equal to (0,0), the trajectory will eventually approach the origin (0,0) as t approaches infinity. This shows that every trajectory, except r = 0, is asymptotically orbitally stable.
Mattbringssoda

Homework Statement

[/B]
+%20sin%5E%7B2%7D%5CTheta%20+%20%281-r%29%5E%7B2%7D%20%5C%5C%20r%27%20%3D%20r%281-r%29.gif

Show that every trajectory, except r = 0, is asymptotically orbitally stable

Homework Equations

[/B]
I have a hint that: I should think of two initially close trajectories (say a(0) = |x(0) - y(0)| sufficiently small and see how the difference evolves over time (the rate a'(t).) I need to make |x(t)-y(t)| bounded.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think I'm getting confused by the symbology and I'm not sure how to operate the equations.

First I tried to calculate the fixed points. The only fixed point I get is the origin, r = 0. (If I tried r = 1, then I can't get theta ' = 0, so r = 0 must be the fixed point to look at, I'm guessing.)

So, next, I can see that r' = r(1-r) will go to zero as r increases in value. I think that's something I'm looking for.

Next, I think I need theta' to be bounded. Well, I know the first part, 1 + sin^2, will always be less than 2...but there's nothing to bound (1-r)^2. As r increases, the term will just keep increasing without bound...

These are my thoughts on the problem so far and I don't know where to go with it from here...

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. I will try to guide you through the solution step by step.

Firstly, we need to understand what the statement "every trajectory, except r = 0, is asymptotically orbitally stable" means. This means that for any initial condition (r(0), theta(0)) that is not equal to (0,0), the trajectory will eventually approach the origin (0,0) as t approaches infinity. This is what is meant by asymptotically stable.

Now, let's consider two initial conditions that are close to each other, say (r(0), theta(0)) and (r(0)+a(0), theta(0)+b(0)), where a(0) and b(0) are small perturbations. We can write the difference between these two trajectories as |x(t)-y(t)| = |(r(t)+a(t))cos(theta(t)+b(t)) - r(t)cos(theta(t))|. We can simplify this expression using the trigonometric identity cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B), to get |x(t)-y(t)| = |a(t)cos(theta(t)) - b(t)r(t)sin(theta(t))|.

Now, let's consider the rate of change of this difference, which is given by |x'(t)-y'(t)| = |a'(t)cos(theta(t)) - b'(t)r(t)sin(theta(t))|. We can use the given equation for r' and the fact that a and b are small perturbations to write this as |x'(t)-y'(t)| ≤ |a'(t)| + |b'(t)|r(t).

Since a(0) and b(0) are small, we can assume that a'(t) and b'(t) are also small. This means that as t approaches infinity, |a'(t)| and |b'(t)| will approach 0. Also, since r(t) approaches 0 as t approaches infinity, |b'(t)|r(t) will also approach 0. This means that |x'(t)-y'(t)| will approach 0 as t approaches infinity.

Therefore, we have shown that |x(t)-y(t)| is bounded and |

1. What is asymptotic orbital stability?

Asymptotic orbital stability refers to the long-term behavior of a system that remains bounded even as time goes to infinity. In other words, the system is able to maintain a stable orbit without any significant changes over time.

2. How is asymptotic orbital stability determined?

Asymptotic orbital stability can be determined by analyzing the rate of change of the system's state variables over time. If the rate of change approaches zero as time goes to infinity, the system is considered asymptotically stable.

3. What factors can affect asymptotic orbital stability?

There are several factors that can affect asymptotic orbital stability, including the mass and distribution of objects in the system, external forces such as gravity, and the initial conditions of the system.

4. How is asymptotic orbital stability different from stability?

Stability refers to a system's ability to return to its original state after being disturbed. Asymptotic orbital stability is a stronger concept, as it not only requires stability but also a bounded orbit over an infinite period of time.

5. Can asymptotic orbital stability be achieved in all systems?

No, asymptotic orbital stability is not always achievable in all systems. It depends on the specific characteristics and dynamics of the system. In some cases, external perturbations or changes in the system can lead to instability, making asymptotic orbital stability impossible.