1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing Complete Elliptic Integral of First Kind Maps to Rectangle

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Effectively, I'm trying to show the following two integrals are equivalent:
    [tex]\int_1^{1/k}[(x^2-1)(1-k^2x^2)]^{-1/2} dx = \int_0^1[(1-x^2)(1-(k')^2x^2)]^{-1/2}dx[/tex]
    where [itex]k'^2 = 1-k^2[/itex] and [itex]0 < k,k' < 1[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

One aspect of the problem I showed the following:
    [tex]\int_{1/k}^\infty [(x^2-1)(k^2x^2-1)]^{-1/2}dx = \int_0^1 [(1-x^2)(1-k^2x^2)]^{-1/2}dx[/tex]
    However, I'm not entirely sure that this is needed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been told that I should use the substitution [itex]u = (1-k'^2 x^2)^{-1/2}[/itex] in order to prove this relation, but while I do in fact get the correct denominator in my integral, there is a constant out front in terms of the ks and the limits of integration are not of the form I want, and I'm having difficulties determining where to go from there without altering the denominator's form. When I try to use different but similar substitutions, while I can get proper limits of integration I lose out on the term in the integrand.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from there would be helpful.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?