1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing Convergence

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    Show that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k+4}{k^3}[/tex] converges.

I thought I would try the limit comparison test by using [tex]a_k=\frac{k+4}{k^3}[/tex] and [tex]b_k=\frac{1}{k^3}[/tex].

I thought a_k looked similar to power series so that if the lim ask-->infinity of a_k/b_k is finite and > 0 then since the p-series (for p>1) converges, than so must a_k,

But I am getting an infinite limit.

So my questions are:

1.) Where is my reasoning flawed?

2.) What is the correct approach?

~Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original series can be written [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty\frac{1}{k^2}+\frac{4}{k^3}[/tex]. Does this give you a hint as how to proceed?

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

use [tex]b_k = 1/k^2[/tex] instead

5. Dec 9, 2007 #4
    I like this, but we shouldn't need to use partials.

I see that this will give me a limit of 1...but you have not given me any justification as to WHY I should or even can use p=2 as opposed to p=3 when the original series had p=3 ?

Someone please elaborate.

Casey

6. Dec 9, 2007 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

Read the limit comparsion test description again....where does it say that the p-series used must be related to the original series in any way?

EDIT: all you require is that both a_k and b_k are positive for all k

7. Dec 9, 2007 #6
    Well, my instructor is forever implying that we should use a series that relates. But you are correct, the description does not say that it needs to.

That being said, why can I not use p= anything, i.e, 3 in this case? I s can use anything...why NOT 3?

Thanks for your patience,
    Casey

8. Dec 9, 2007 #7

mjsd

Homework Helper

you aim here is to find a series b_k that will help you show whether sum of a_k is convergent or not. Note that a_k ~ 1/k^2 when k is large, that's why using b_k = 1/k^2 will help because we know that a_k/b_k ~ 1/k^2 / (1/k^2) ~ finite. or at least the first thing one would try

yeah.. in a sense, that's why you should use a series that relates.... but it is more subtle than just: "since that you have a k^3 on the bottom for a_k so it would means p=3..."

9. Dec 9, 2007 #8
    I am still not clear on why if all we need to do is use a b_k such that we know the outcome of it....and we know [tex]\sum b_k=\sum_1^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^3}[/tex] converges and we also know that
    [tex]\sum a_k=\sum_1^{\infty}\frac{k+4}{k^3}[/tex] converges...then why does there the limit at infty of a_k/b_k not yield a finite number...

I mean I know that it doesn't because the limit is what it is....but shouldn't my selection of b_k, by the definition of the limit comparison test, be completely arbitrary?

Thanks again,
    Casey

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  10. Dec 9, 2007 #9

mjsd

Homework Helper

11. Dec 9, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point is that you're looking at the test the wrong way around. The limit comparison test says that if [itex]\lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{a_k}{b_k}>0[/itex] , then a_k converges iff b_k converges. If the limit is infinite, and b_k converges, it does not tell you anything about a_k.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  12. Dec 9, 2007 #11
    So if I know the outcome of b_k but the lim of a_k/b_k is infinite...then I need to make another comparision since nothing can be learned from this.

Does that sound correct?

Casey

13. Dec 9, 2007 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the limit is infinite and b_k converges, then you need another test. If the limit is infinite and b_k diverges, then as stated on mjsd's link above, a_k also diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?