Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Showing convergence

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n)

2. Relevant equations
    Various series tests

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer showed that the series converges to 0, I know I can rule out the nth term test because the limit is 0. However, I'm not sure how to go about this since it's a logarithmic problem. Can someone direct me as to which test to use to get to thsi? Maybe comparison?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2
    Think about comparison test.

*Good idea to use latex: [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\ln^2{n}} {\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. Jun 9, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

is this a series or a sequence?

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4
    its a sequence

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    what exactly should i compare it to, (im not good with natural logs) I was thinking maybe 1/sqrt(n) but that doesn't show it convergest to 0

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
    1. What the comparison test says?

2. What is the relation between [tex] \frac {1} { \sqrt{x} }\ \ and\ \ \frac{\ln^2{x}}{\sqrt{x}}\ ? [/tex]

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

if the sequence is:
    [itex] a_n = \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

how about seeing whether you could show, for some n>N that:
    [itex] ln(n)<n^{1/4} [/itex]

9. Jun 9, 2010 #8
    wait...OHHH to prove convergence if its a series, u use a series test, but this is just a sequence!!! that means i just need to take the limit to infinity and if its a finite number it should converge!!! :D am i right?

10. Jun 9, 2010 #9
    You converge to a solution...=)
    Look carefully what the comparison test means and says.

11. Jun 9, 2010 #10
    if i recall, comparison test is when you compare a sequence that you don't know to a sequence that u do know converges/diverges

12. Jun 9, 2010 #11
  13. Jun 9, 2010 #12

lanedance

Homework Helper

that stuff is for series, so whether the sum converges, say
    [itex]S_n = \sum_n a+n = \sum_n \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

if this is actually just a sequence of a_n, then showing a limit exists is sufficient
    [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

vipertongn - it think you should make sure which it is... in this case the sequence converges to zero, however the series diverges

14. Jun 9, 2010 #13
    it is a sequence, what confused me whas the fact that i find the series to diverge badly but the solutoins said it converged to zero :3 I understand it now

15. Jun 9, 2010 #14
    [tex] \frac {1} { \sqrt{n} }<\frac{\ln^2{n}}{\sqrt{n}},\ \forall\ n>e [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{n=e}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\ is\ divergent\ so\ from\ the\ comparison\ test\ \sum_{n=e}^\infty \frac{\ln^2{n}}{\sqrt{n}}\ is\ also\ divergent\ [/tex]

Both sequences converge to 0, but don't confuse the convergence of sequences to convergence of their series.
    It seems to me you're not familiar enough with the theory.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook