Convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) - Series Tests Explained

• Thread starter vipertongn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary: The comparison test is for comparing two sequences to see if one converges while the other diverges. If the sequence is a series, then taking the limit to infinity will prove convergence. If the sequence is a sequence, then you can show that it converges by taking the limit to a finite number.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

(ln(n))^2/sqrt(n)

Homework Equations

Various series tests

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer showed that the series converges to 0, I know I can rule out the nth term test because the limit is 0. However, I'm not sure how to go about this since it's a logarithmic problem. Can someone direct me as to which test to use to get to thsi? Maybe comparison?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about comparison test.

*Good idea to use latex: [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\ln^2{n}} {\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

Last edited:
is this a series or a sequence?

its a sequence

estro said:
Think about comparison test.

what exactly should i compare it to, (im not good with natural logs) I was thinking maybe 1/sqrt(n) but that doesn't show it convergest to 0

vipertongn said:
what exactly should i compare it to, (im not good with natural logs) I was thinking maybe 1/sqrt(n) but that doesn't show it convergest to 0

1. What the comparison test says?

2. What is the relation between [tex] \frac {1} { \sqrt{x} }\ \ and\ \ \frac{\ln^2{x}}{\sqrt{x}}\ ? [/tex]

if the sequence is:
[itex] a_n = \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

how about seeing whether you could show, for some n>N that:
[itex] ln(n)<n^{1/4} [/itex]

Last edited:
wait...OHHH to prove convergence if its a series, u use a series test, but this is just a sequence! that means i just need to take the limit to infinity and if its a finite number it should converge! :D am i right?

vipertongn said:
wait...OHHH to prove convergence if its a series, u use a series test, but this is just a sequence! that means i just need to take the limit to infinity and if its a finite number it should converge! :D am i right?

You converge to a solution...=)
Look carefully what the comparison test means and says.

if i recall, comparison test is when you compare a sequence that you don't know to a sequence that u do know converges/diverges

Last edited:
that stuff is for series, so whether the sum converges, say
[itex]S_n = \sum_n a+n = \sum_n \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

if this is actually just a sequence of a_n, then showing a limit exists is sufficient
[itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{ln(n)^2}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex]

vipertongn - it think you should make sure which it is... in this case the sequence converges to zero, however the series diverges

it is a sequence, what confused me whas the fact that i find the series to diverge badly but the solutoins said it converged to zero :3 I understand it now

[tex] \frac {1} { \sqrt{n} }<\frac{\ln^2{n}}{\sqrt{n}},\ \forall\ n>e [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{n=e}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\ is\ divergent\ so\ from\ the\ comparison\ test\ \sum_{n=e}^\infty \frac{\ln^2{n}}{\sqrt{n}}\ is\ also\ divergent\ [/tex]

Both sequences converge to 0, but don't confuse the convergence of sequences to convergence of their series.
It seems to me you're not familiar enough with the theory.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) - Series Tests Explained?"

The "Convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) - Series Tests Explained" refers to a mathematical concept used to determine whether a series, or a sum of terms, converges or diverges. It involves applying various tests, such as the limit comparison test or the ratio test, to determine the behavior of the series.

2. Why is the series (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) important in mathematics?

The series (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) is important because it is a common example used to illustrate the application of different convergence tests. It also has a relatively simple form, making it easier to analyze and understand.

3. How do you determine the convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n)?

To determine the convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n), you can apply the limit comparison test. This involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the series (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n) divided by 1/sqrt(n). If the resulting limit is a finite, non-zero number, then the two series have the same convergence behavior.

4. What is the significance of the squared natural logarithm in the series (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n)?

The squared natural logarithm, or ln(n)^2, indicates that the terms in the series are increasing at a slower rate compared to just the natural logarithm, which would be ln(n)/sqrt(n). This slower growth can affect the convergence behavior of the series and is important to consider when applying convergence tests.

5. Are there any other mathematical concepts related to the convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n)?

Yes, there are many other mathematical concepts related to the convergence of (ln(n))^2/sqrt(n). Some examples include the Cauchy condensation test, the integral test, and the alternating series test. These tests can also be applied to determine the convergence of other types of series.