1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing f(0)=f(1)

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]X=\{0,1\}[/itex] with the Sierpinski topology [itex]\tau = \{ \emptyset , \{0\} ,\{0,1\} \}[/itex].

Suppose [itex]f:X\to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous.

Show [itex]f(0)=f(1)[/itex].

[Potentially useful observation: [itex]\{f(0)\}[/itex] is closed in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]f:X\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous [itex]\iff[/itex] for every open (closed) set [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{R},\;f^*(A)[/itex] is open (closed) in [itex]X[/itex].

How to show f(0)=f(1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Suppose the contrary, and find an open set whose preimage is {1}.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Does [itex]f^*(\{0\}) = \{1\}[/itex]?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who could say until you define what f is?? Follow Citan Uzuki's advice and define f(0)=a and f(1)=b where a and b are unequal real numbers. Is f continuous?

6. Dec 6, 2011 #5
    So [itex]\{a\} \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\{b\} \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] are closed, and [itex]f^*(\{a\})=\{0\} \subseteq X[/itex] is closed in [itex]X[/itex] but [itex]f^*(\{a\})=\{1\}[/itex] is not closed in [itex]X[/itex] so [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous - contradiction; therefore [itex]f(0)=f(1)[/itex]?

7. Dec 6, 2011 #6
    ^ That should say [itex]f^*(\{b\})=\{1\}[/itex] but I can't find an edit button!

8. Dec 6, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Now to finish up show that if a=b then f IS continuous.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #8
    That approach will work, but you're doing it backwards. {0} is not closed in X, because its complement is {1}, which is not in the topology on X. So the conclusion that f is not continuous comes from the fact that f*({a}) = 0, not the fact that f*({b}) = 1.

10. Dec 6, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, actually I didn't notice, but you right. My 'Edit' button disappeared for a while yesterday. Seems to be back now. At least for me. Citan Uzuki is also right. I didn't notice you'd swapped the open and closed either. Guess I should read more carefully.

11. Dec 6, 2011 #10
    If we have a contradiction after supposing [itex]a\neq b[/itex] doesn't that mean we must have [itex]a=b[/itex]?

12. Dec 6, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No! All you've shown is that if a not equal b is then f is not continuous. How can that be a proof that if a=b then f is continuous? There might not be ANY continuous functions.

13. Dec 6, 2011 #12
    But we're assuming all along that [itex]f:X\to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous (as the question tells us this!)

14. Dec 6, 2011 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, this is really not my day. You are right. I thought you had to prove f continuous iff a=b. I saw the double arrow in your original post and fixated on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook