1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing harmonicity

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose u is harmonic on B\{0}, and that u is continuous in the closure of B.
    How would we show that u is in fact harmonic on B?
    (B = unit ball in R^n, n>=2)

2. Relevant equations

u is harmonic in Ω if Δu=0 in Ω.

u is weakly harmonic in Ω if integral over Ω of u(x)(Δψ(x))dx = 0.

u has the mean value property on Ω if for each x in Ω and r>0 such that the closed ball with centre x and radius r is contained in Ω, we have
    u(x) = 1/ |B(x,r)| . integral over B(x,r) of u(y)dy

3. The attempt at a solution

One idea I had was showing u is weakly harmonic on B, and then correcting it at {0} to become harmonic.
    So u is harmonic on B\{0} => u is weakly harmonic on B\{0}
    => integral over B\{0} of u(x)(Δψ(x))dx = 0 for all C^oo functions ψ supported in B\{0}
    Now because {0} has measure 0, then
    integral over B of u(x)(Δψ(x))dx = 0 = integral over B\{0} of u(x)(Δψ(x))dx
    So u is weakly harmonic on B, and so we can correct it at {0} to make it harmonic.
    But then something tells me that's too straightforward, can't be right, can it?

So then I thought an alternative (and probably safer) way is
    to show u satisfies the mean value property on B, hence harmonic since it is continuous.
    But then I have no idea how to show this...
    Does that involve using that harmonic functions are smooth, or just some tricks at {0}, or...?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?