1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing raising operator raising!

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    Hey,

I have a question on showing how the raising operator in QM raises a particular eigenstate by 1 unit, the question is showed below:

Raising_Operator_Q.png

I think I know how to do this but not sure if what I'm doing is sufficient:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=([\hat{N},a^{\dagger}]+a^{\dagger}\hat{N})|n>[/tex]

So I considered the N operator acting on the raising operator, we know the commutation relation stated on the RHS, so this simplifies to:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=(a^{\dagger}+a^{\dagger}\hat{N})|n>[/tex]

Letting N act on the state N we attain:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=(1+n)a^{\dagger}|n>[/tex]

I'm not sure if it's enough to say now that by definition of the raising operator 'a-dagger', it raises the state n to n+1 and we conclude that 'a-dagger' acting on a state n is equal to some constant multiplied by (1+n) and the state 1+n.

Cheers,
    SK

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd be more explicit than that:

from (given) ##[\hat{N},a^\dagger]|n\rangle = a^\dagger |n\rangle## ... expand the commutator

##\Leftrightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle ] - a^\dagger [\hat{N}|n\rangle ] = a^\dagger |n\rangle## ... since: ##\hat{N}|n\rangle = n|n\rangle## (given)

##\Leftrightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle] - n[a^\dagger|n\rangle] = a^\dagger |n\rangle##

##\Rightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle] = a^\dagger |n\rangle+na^\dagger|n\rangle = (n+1)[a^\dagger |n\rangle]##

i.e. ##a^\dagger |n\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue n+1 ...

##\Rightarrow a^\dagger |n\rangle=|n+1\rangle##

... is |n+1> normalized already?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. Jan 16, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

BTW: It can be useful, if you are writing a LOT of fancy notation, to define the most common combinations ... eg: ##\renewcommand{\bra}[1]{\langle {#1} |}
    \renewcommand{\ket}[1]{|{#1}\rangle}
    \renewcommand{\braket}[1]{ \langle #1 \rangle }##

\renewcommand{\bra}[1]{\langle {#1} |}
    \renewcommand{\ket}[1]{|{#1}\rangle}
    \renewcommand{\braket}[1]{ \langle #1 \rangle }

so that \bra{n}\; \ket{n,l,m,s}\; \braket{\psi}\; \bra{\psi}H\ket{\psi} gives you: $$\bra{n}\; \ket{n,l,m,s}\; \braket{\psi}\; \bra{\psi}H\ket{\psi}$$

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4
    Ahh yes, that's better. I think the ket 'n+1' is not normalised already but that's only due to the normalisation factor 'c' they've put in in the question.

I think what you have written is sufficient, they do not ask you to determine 'c' - so I presume we don't have to in this case.

Also your second post coding hasn't all come up properly on my screen!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook